Diploma vs Cert 3 in early childhood education

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
JT81

Diploma vs Cert 3 in early childhood education

Post by JT81 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi wonderful ladies,

First of all, my apology for bringing this topic into our forum again.

I am in late 30’ & stay-at-home mom for 7 years. It is impossible for me to go back to my old job industry therefore i would love to challenge myself in new career as childcare educator assistant.
Understood that the minimum qualification for educator assistant is Cert 3 in early childhood education and i am planing to take free TAFE course.
I have big concern to choose between Diploma and Cert 3 program. My purpose is just to find a educator assistant job and stay at this position for at least few years. My children are still small therefore i have no intention to strive for educator lead/room leader post as i knew that besides experiences, there are lot of commitments needed in order to be a leader. I talked to a consultant from one of service providers and was advised that I should take Diploma course instead of Cert 3. The reason is because nowadays too many Cert 3 holder unable to find a job and most of them will continue with Diploma.
Since i live in Vic & I wonder in general as well as in Vic market, will unexperienced Diploma holder get better chance to secure a job than unexperienced Cert 3 holder? Should i go for Diploma straight or take Cert 3 first then find a job and continue with Diploma? In case i stop at Cert 3, are there ways i should do to prepare myself to be more outstanding in the job market?

As mature learner with small kids, it is very hard for me to make decision between Cert 3 & Diploma. Diploma will need longer time and more course work while Cert 3 is shorter but seem have lower chance to get a job.
I am very happy to find this forum and would love to hear your experiences & advices in order for me to make a right decision

Your input/advices are greatly appreciated.

Dahya

Re: Diploma vs Cert 3 in early childhood education

Post by Dahya » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:49 am

I have completed my certificate 3 with Kirana College in Strathpine and was lucky enough to find a casual Educator role very soon. I think there many positions available. All the best in making your choice

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:50 am

Hey!!

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'm Lorina! :)

At the moment, when you complete your Diploma Qualification, first you start by completing your Cert 3 modules then you go onto your Diploma modules.

Once you complete your Cert 3 modules you will be a Cert 3 Qualified Educator even though you are completing a Diploma Qualification.

If you are happy to stick with the roles and responsibilities of a Cert 3 Qualified Educator then you should complete a Cert 3 Qualification. If you think you would want to go into a Room Leader position ever in the future, maybe not now but maybe 3 or 4 years later then since you are studying you may as well study the Diploma.

You can still be able to find an assistant job as a Diploma Qualified Educator. You won't be paid as a Room Leader but you will be paid a little more than a Cert 3 Qualified since you would have completed your Diploma. Who knows you may find in the future that the Room Leader position actually fits quite well and since you have the qualification you can easily continue into that position.

I think that there will always be a necessity for Educators in this industry so unless you live in a rural area (where places may be limited) then I don't think it will be difficult.

Just for your peace of mind... you can just have a look at a job site such as career one, seek etc. and see what childcare job positions are currently available within your area... maybe it will help you to decide whether to go for the Cert 3 or Diploma...

Let me know what you decide or if you have any further questions!

See you around the forum!

:geek:,
Lorina

JT81

Post by JT81 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:28 pm

Thank you so much, Ladies. :inlove: :clap:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:47 am

You're most welcome!

Keep in touch!