Trainee under 18

Educator to child ratios, ratios within a service, ratios with different ages etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Sue78

Trainee under 18

Post by Sue78 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:20 pm

Hi I'm new to childcare :) I work in a WA long daycare service in a kindy room (age 3/12-5years). I am wanting to clarify ratio's please. I usually have 20 children with an ECT and working towards cert 3 assistant, which at 1:10 ratio is fine.
When we go on lunch, office or admin duties away from the room we are given a trainee to provide cover. As I understand this would be fine if the student is over 18 they can be counted in numbers for ratio but they can't be left alone with students?
Can the current trainee who is under 18 be counted in our numbers for ratio? Is a trainee able to be left alone with students aged 3-5? Are under 18's allowed to be left alone with students of this same age group? Could you please advise. Thank you

Lorina

Re: Trainee under 18

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:32 am

Hi,

As per regulations:

120 Educators who are under 18 to be supervised

The approved provider of a centre-based service must ensure that any educator at the service who is under 18 years of age—
(a) does not work alone at the service; and
(b) is adequately supervised at all times by an educator who has attained the age of 18 years.

Penalty: $1000.

:geek:,
Lorina