Pay question...

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
bubbles10

Pay question...

Post by bubbles10 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:16 pm

Just wondering what pay level is appropriate for someone who:

- holds their cert III
- is in their third year of their bachelors of early childhood 0-8
- is in their second year of working as an ECT on a waiver (NSW)
- is a lead educator 4-5’s
- is taking on the role of Educational Leader for the centre
- and is taking on the role of 2IC (to the director)

The whole pay system is confusing. I’m currently being paid level 4A.1 (I think this should have gone up a level after 12 months? Or does that not happen until the start of the next financial year?) I’m unsure how/if my extra responsibilities will impact my pay. I know Ed Leaders don’t get paid more but unsure about the 2IC role.

Thank you.

Lorina

Re: Pay question...

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:40 pm

What is the licence of children for the overall centre... e.g 80 place centre?

How long have you been lead educator for?

How long have you been 2IC for?

:geek:,
Lorina

bubbles10

Post by bubbles10 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi Lorina,

I've been lead educator of the 4-5 age group for two years, heading into my third now.

I'm starting as the centre's educational leader and 2IC (while maintaining my other duties as a lead educator and ect) on the 13th when the centre reopens for the year.

It is a 39 place centre.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:45 am

Since you are the ECT of the service, from what I understand you will move onto the Educational Services Teachers Award and start at Level 1 - which is around $27 per hour.

I'm not 100% sure if that is your starting wage, however from the information you have provided that's what I will assume you start on.

Can you please let me know the Level they are putting you on, once you go back to work so I can compare.

Lorina

bubbles10

Post by bubbles10 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks Lorina, will do.

Aussiesam77

Post by Aussiesam77 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:43 am

I have been a Coordinator of an Outside School Hours Care for over seven years with a company holding a Diploma of children’s Services qualification for ten years among longer childcare certificates like a Maternity Practitioner Award for fifteen years with 25 years qualified experience. Should I be on a higher award than 5.3-$28.77 per hour? Thanks for your time

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Aussiesam77 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:43 am
I have been a Coordinator of an Outside School Hours Care for over seven years with a company holding a Diploma of children’s Services qualification for ten years among longer childcare certificates like a Maternity Practitioner Award for fifteen years with 25 years qualified experience. Should I be on a higher award than 5.3-$28.77 per hour? Thanks for your time

You are getting the right amount of pay as per the Children's Services Award 2010. There is a level 5.4 which is $28.87 per hour and I'm assuming that's after 3 years of service... that's the last level on the scale. Meaning you will not earn more than you are getting...

Lorina

mbadal

Post by mbadal » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Hi Lorina,

I have a question and I would like you to advice me on my pay rate, whether it is right or not?

When i was doing my diploma,i was employed as a casual in a non for profit organisation in March 2017 with a pay rate of $23/hour. In September 2019 I finished my Diploma. I asked my Director if I would get a pay rise, she said no because when signing the contract, i was employed as a casual certificate3 and they do not need me as a diploma.

It is a 104-place centre. I am still working as a casual with a pay of $27.17/hour and now the Director wants to hire me as a full time permanent Educator with a pay rate of $23.84 per hour. I want to know if this rate is right, including my experience? Any advice before I accept or reject this offer?

Thanks,
Maya

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:12 pm

mbadal wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:32 pm
Hi Lorina,

I have a question and I would like you to advice me on my pay rate, whether it is right or not?

When i was doing my diploma,i was employed as a casual in a non for profit organisation in March 2017 with a pay rate of $23/hour. In September 2019 I finished my Diploma. I asked my Director if I would get a pay rise, she said no because when signing the contract, i was employed as a casual certificate3 and they do not need me as a diploma.

It is a 104-place centre. I am still working as a casual with a pay of $27.17/hour and now the Director wants to hire me as a full time permanent Educator with a pay rate of $23.84 per hour. I want to know if this rate is right, including my experience? Any advice before I accept or reject this offer?

Thanks,
Maya

Hi Maya,

I've emailed you - here is my response:

In regards to your new permanent position, will you still be employed as an assistant?

Even if so, since you have completed your Diploma, you will be on Level 3.4 - which a Diploma Qualified Assistant. From what I understand they cannot pay you as a Cert 3 - when in fact you have a Diploma Qualification, you should be paid the rate of a Diploma Assistant which is $25.56/per hour.

When working as a Diploma Qualified Assistant you should be paid at Level 3.4.

This is for your reference: Childcare Wages In Australia

Lorina

Louise3690

Post by Louise3690 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi Lorna,
Could you help me with my quirey? I started as 4.3 room diploma leader position however l since have taken over the preschool teacher leading role after enrollment and being over 50% granted advance standing. Could you tell me if my pay will stay as a room leader or as a ect? I have 30 children in our preschool program busy busy busy!! Thank you

Louise3690

Post by Louise3690 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Hi Lorna,
I am full time level 4.3 diploma leader and have just been appointed ECT in a 30 place preschool program (childcare) room leader. l am 50 percent into my batchelor of education (0 to 5) my question is will l continue being paid as a diploma trained leader or ECT? I actually think my pay rate is higher at a 4.3 level ??? I have so much more responsibility etc surely this wouldn't be the case? I'm a tad confused by it all and where l stand. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Louise

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:25 am

From what I understand you are only paid as an ECT when have completed your ECT degree, so until you will be paid what you are currently. Another option may be to negotiate your wage since you ill not be paid as an ECT as yet.

Lorina

Louise3690

Post by Louise3690 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 pm

Thanks lorna that's what l thought. Alot of stress and huge workload for a very min wage but l do love what l do! Thank you

Michie

Post by Michie » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 am

Hi Lorina, I just wanted to know what Level (Award) I am at so I can determine which wage I am entitled to. This is my background: I am in Sydney. I finished my cert 3 then upgraded abd finished my Diploma on 2010. I started working on a centre 2015 which is the only centre I have been working with until now and been there upto six years. I started as a casual for $17.50 an hour, then eventually somebody resigned and they hired me for full time. The only things is, since I have no childcare experience before, I accepted the Certificate 3 position eventhough I am a diploma. As years progressed I have been begging the owner put me as a Diploma and increase my pay as I am being paid as a certificate 3 and paid 20 an hour, the boss always say i can only afford to pay you As a cert 3. whenever she hires a diploma she underpays as well, that is why diplomas who have years of experience who knows the work rights and awards resign and not lasting for a few days after starting not
To mention we have no breaks and severely understaffed. I had experience being alone with 36 children during outdoor play when the other staff member needs to reheat lunch or go to the toilet because it’s only the two of us in the preschool room. I also experienced being in the toddler room alone with 16kids when the other staff needs to reheat food, mop the floor, wash the dishes, or go to the toilet.
For my duties as a Cert 3, I do the following: I can do the programming, observations, follow-ups, evaluations and reflections. Implementing Indoor/outdoor program for my room. Hosting the graduation evening, finishing and issuing half yearly and end of year reports, communicating with parents or parent teacher meeting which is done after reports have been given (we finish at 4pm but don’t her paid OT when we do parent interviews from 4-6:30pm). Preparing morning tea/baking bread, reheating lunch, afternoon tea, Doing preschool activities, doing QIP’s, arts and craft, filing documents, doing online daily journals, mopping, cleaning, inventory of cleaning stuff/refilling. I also handle 4-5 children with additional needs e.g autism level 3 come in all together in a day aside from my focus children, All of those things in a days work. I am on my 6th year this 2020 and I am still being laid as a Certificate 3 for $22 an hour without overtime if the parent is late to pick up their child after 4pm closing time I stay back upto 4:30 the latest. Boss charge late fees but keeps it and never give to the employee who stayed back. As a Diploma being paid as a Cert 3 $22 with six years experience. How much am I really worth in terms of awards or my level. Please note
i have asked for an increase every year and being told that, boss cant afford to increase my pay, as she needs to pay her electricity, bills and she is constructing her second branch of childcare.

Sp1998

Post by Sp1998 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

Hi I am wondering what my pay rate is, my story is as follows:
I finished my cert 3 in april 2019 worked in the same centre until March 2020 As a level 3.1
I have just started casual at another centre am I still a level 3.1 or have I moved to 3.2 as I have held my cert 3 for a year now. Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 am

Michie wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:28 am
Hi Lorina, I just wanted to know what Level (Award) I am at so I can determine which wage I am entitled to. This is my background: I am in Sydney. I finished my cert 3 then upgraded abd finished my Diploma on 2010. I started working on a centre 2015 which is the only centre I have been working with until now and been there upto six years. I started as a casual for $17.50 an hour, then eventually somebody resigned and they hired me for full time. The only things is, since I have no childcare experience before, I accepted the Certificate 3 position eventhough I am a diploma. As years progressed I have been begging the owner put me as a Diploma and increase my pay as I am being paid as a certificate 3 and paid 20 an hour, the boss always say i can only afford to pay you As a cert 3. whenever she hires a diploma she underpays as well, that is why diplomas who have years of experience who knows the work rights and awards resign and not lasting for a few days after starting not
To mention we have no breaks and severely understaffed. I had experience being alone with 36 children during outdoor play when the other staff member needs to reheat lunch or go to the toilet because it’s only the two of us in the preschool room. I also experienced being in the toddler room alone with 16kids when the other staff needs to reheat food, mop the floor, wash the dishes, or go to the toilet.
For my duties as a Cert 3, I do the following: I can do the programming, observations, follow-ups, evaluations and reflections. Implementing Indoor/outdoor program for my room. Hosting the graduation evening, finishing and issuing half yearly and end of year reports, communicating with parents or parent teacher meeting which is done after reports have been given (we finish at 4pm but don’t her paid OT when we do parent interviews from 4-6:30pm). Preparing morning tea/baking bread, reheating lunch, afternoon tea, Doing preschool activities, doing QIP’s, arts and craft, filing documents, doing online daily journals, mopping, cleaning, inventory of cleaning stuff/refilling. I also handle 4-5 children with additional needs e.g autism level 3 come in all together in a day aside from my focus children, All of those things in a days work. I am on my 6th year this 2020 and I am still being laid as a Certificate 3 for $22 an hour without overtime if the parent is late to pick up their child after 4pm closing time I stay back upto 4:30 the latest. Boss charge late fees but keeps it and never give to the employee who stayed back. As a Diploma being paid as a Cert 3 $22 with six years experience. How much am I really worth in terms of awards or my level. Please note
i have asked for an increase every year and being told that, boss cant afford to increase my pay, as she needs to pay her electricity, bills and she is constructing her second branch of childcare.

Are you still currently working at this centre?

As far as no breaks this is against the law and being understaffed is also against compliance and puts children's health and safety at risk.

Has your pay been increased? Please let me know so I can go through rates with you.

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 29, 2020 4:16 am

Sp1998 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm
Hi I am wondering what my pay rate is, my story is as follows:
I finished my cert 3 in april 2019 worked in the same centre until March 2020 As a level 3.1
I have just started casual at another centre am I still a level 3.1 or have I moved to 3.2 as I have held my cert 3 for a year now. Thanks

If you have held your cert 3 qualification and have had experience working as cert 3 educator for a year, you should be on Level 3.2

Lorina

Erose

Post by Erose » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi Lorina

I have a question about this too.

I am a primary school teacher with 6 years expereince and am now studying to be an ECT completed 50% of the course. In some centres I am an ECT working towards and other centres I am classed as a diploma trained educator.
I hold a cert3 in early childhood education and care and have had 12 months experience in a FDC setting.

I am now working at a preschool as a casual employee, I work with funded children as their support educator.

on my playslip it says
LEVEL 1 casual employee

However another staff member who started the same time as me and holds exactly the same qual and is studying her ECT is on level 2 casual?

Is my level wrong.....?
:wtf:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 am

It seems like you're on the right level... maybe that staff member has had more experience working in childcare?

Lorina