REDUCED from to 37 to 6 hours

You may use this forum for all general discussions on topics that are not covered in the above forums..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
WWinarto

REDUCED from to 37 to 6 hours

Post by WWinarto » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:35 am

Dear Lorina

I would greatly appreciative if I could get an advise on the matter please.
I have been working with a local daycare centre in the last 5 years eventho the current owner has bought the centre in the last approximately 14 months. During these periods I have been employ under casual basis up to 37 hours per week. I have been getting very good hours shifts and have been always put on their Roster. Last week during New Year period I have was working 8.30hrs shift and I am understand as it is quiet time not many children but this week my name was not in the roster and when I call the Director she said oh I have not done it yet, eventho everyone else already in the roster except me, then I found out yesterday that I am back in the roster but working 5.30hrs shift for the whole week ... my question is, is this a normal precedure? I understand that I am CASUAL up to 37hrs and after all these time suddenly down to 6 hrs per week? Honestly how will I survive on that? I am a 62yr old single with one dependant son and have a morgage, I am very devastated ... please advise Lorina.
Thank you.

Lorina

Re: REDUCED from to 37 to 6 hours

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 am

Yes, unfortunately as a casual your hours can fluctuate from 37 hrs right down to 6 hrs. Since you are employed as a casual your employer can change your hours at anytime.

I understand working for only 6 hrs is not going to be beneficial for you whatsoever. I would suggest you may have to find other centres within your locality to be casual in so at least you get more than 6 hours throughout the week.

Just out of curiosity - as a casual employed for 37hrs per week your pay must of been high, why didn't you get employed as a permanent educator? That may be another reason... it's cheaper to find a full time educator to work instead... are you able to go full time? Can you make this suggestion to your Director?

:geek:,
Lorina

bennettsplace

Post by bennettsplace » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:46 am

I would recommend joining a union. My understanding is that if you are continuously on the same hours they need to give you notice (I think it is 2 weeks??) before they can reduce your hours so dramatically due to the financial hardship it would cause. I am not 100% certain though so I if I was you I would seek alternative advice šŸ˜Š

bennettsplace

Post by bennettsplace » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 am

You can contact the fair work ombudsman for further advice https://www.fairwork.gov.au/contact-us/call-us