Demoted while on stress leave

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
mulgamates
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Demoted while on stress leave

Post by mulgamates » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi I was the nominated supervisor and director of a small 24 place centre, we recently got a new committee who have no idea about the place. I was working 10 hour days with no breaks, 5 days a week. The only other staff I had were a new lady been in the job 3 weeks, never worked in childcare and not studying. And another woman who has worked there for 15months but has not bothered to do any study, and regularly takes a few weeks off at a time, a quits every couple of weeks then comes back (yes i’m less than impressed). I had not been sleeping and my heart over a few weeks started to beat like it was jumping out of my chest. I went to the doctors and he advised I had anxiety and gave me two weeks stress leave. While away on stress leave the committee text me to advise me they have now made the committee secretary the nominated supervisor, who is never at the centre so not sure how she can perform the role. My question can they demote me while on stress leave? Can you have a nominated supervisor that is not at the centre? They have also made it a “law” that parents are to contact her by email to book or cancel their children. So I have no idea of what children will be in the next day, which makes making plans for activities very difficult. I’m not sure what to do I feel like I’m being micro managed and are ready to quite. I live in a small remote town so I can not just get a job at another kindy and if I quite I would have wasted all the money I have spent trying to do my diploma. Please please does any one have any advise or know who, I can voice my concerns.
Regards, Michelle

Lorina

Re: Demoted while on stress leave

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Michelle,

First off I'm sorry you are going through so much stress at the moment! I am not surprised you're currently going through anxiety as you have been working far too many hours, without breaks - which itself is against the law!

In regards to demoting your job role, did they do this because the cause of your 2-week leave is stress and I'm thinking they gave your position to someone else to lessen your stress at the centre?

The nominated supervisor has to be at the centre and they have to inform the Regulatory Authority of this person. There is also an option to have 2 or more nominated supervisors at a service as well.

Here is some more information:

Responsible Person Requirments

As for Parents contacting the new niminated supervisor to book or cancel days, you will need to be informed as soon as possible so like you said you can plan experiences and plan the day.

Just make sure that you're well within ratio as well. You mentioned that you have a lady not currently studying (which against the Regulations as Cert 3 in minimum requirment) as well as another lady who takes time off. When others are taking time off, it's important that you are still within the ratio.

I don't think you should quit just yet, just see how it goes at the moment.

:geek:,
Lorina