Casual Job - Director Being Unprofessional

Questions on working as a casual. Such as job responsibilities, what to do, finding casual work etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

Casual Job - Director Being Unprofessional

Post by law92 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:08 am

Hi I'm just needing some advice on my situation. I've been offered some casual work at a centre, however they never gave me an employment contract. Is this normal? I had to fill out other forms including bank details, super and TFN. But I never actually got a contract of employment.
I got a call from the child care yesterday wanting me to go in for a shift, and the director mentioned on the phone about giving me work for next week as well.
So I worked yesterday for 6 hours, and the director was asking the room leader how I was going and the room leader was really happy with me, but the director said to the room leader that she thought I was a bit quiet. I know I'm a quiet person by nature, but it doesn't affect my work. I chat with the children all day and communicate effectively with the staff, so I don't see how she is bothered by my quiet nature? It seems a bit unfair as I'm a good worker. But at the end of the shift yesterday she didn't mention giving me work for next week which was odd because she seemed quite keen on the phone that morning for giving me more work, but she offered me a shift today to work again.
So I've got another shift today for 8 hours.

Is she just trying to test me out to see if she likes me? It seems really weird also that she didn't give me an employment contract and keeps avoiding talking about my rate of pay. I'm getting really annoyed with her behaviour towards me. I need a regular job so I can complete my diploma and am getting sick of how she's messing me around. I have been offered a casual position also through Goodstart early learning and they seem much better to deal with much more professional. They've been upfront with me with everything, including giving me an employment contract outlining my pay and conditions. And I think I'd rather work for them anyway as there's more opportunities for career progression as they're a big company with 8 centres in my area and this other job is just with a small independent centre. I'm just getting sick of this director, so I'm thinking of telling her I've got another job and thanks for the opportunity.
And plus I only want to work 1 job so my centrelink payments don't get cut.

I just can't work out what this directors deal is. I've never been treated like this before in any of my other jobs? It seems a bit dodgy to me- avoiding talking about pay and not giving me a contract and not being upfront with me about where I stand.

Should I just go with the goodstart job? I don't see much point in persevering with this job. Any advice would be great. I'm just confused with this directors behaviour.

Lorina

Re: Casual Job - Director Being Unprofessional

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:26 am

I think you should go with your gut instinct and it seems like it's telling you to go with Good Start. I don't know why the Director mentioned you're "quiet"... Instead of making judgements the director should interact with you, observe you with the children and the staff, talk to you about your day, talk to you about any questions that you may have etc. If you are already feeling like this after 1 shift then if you continue with that centre, it would probably make you more stressed, especially because it's the Director who seems to be a little unprofessional.

You will find that working for a bigger company may be able to give you more career opportunities in the future and will probably give you steady work. I don't think you stick to one centre you go between centres as a casual... Also, it's more chance they will be able to give you a permanent position in the future since they already have so many centres...

Like I said it's best to trust your gut instinct...

I know you have another shift today but take it as a new day... It could be possible that the Director was also out of sorts and having one of her "off" days so try and put her behaviour aside and start afresh...

Hope you have a better day!

:geek:,
Lorina

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks Lorina I really appreciate your input. I think I will just stick with the good start job as they seem more professional and hopefully they will start offering me work soon.

If the director offers me more work today at this job do you think I should take it? I don't know whether I should or not because I want to be available when Good start ring me. And I want to get stuck in to work for my diploma.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:50 am

I think you should just stick with one since you want to start your Diploma and it's going to be difficult when you get 2 jobs on the same day... Also I'm not too sure but you may want to check your Goodstart contract to see if you are actually able to work somewhere else while you're employed with them...You should leave on a good note with this centre just in case in the future you need to go back or need further casual work. So, say something like you really enjoyed working there but you got offered a part time position at another centre... It's good to have a back up...

Lorina

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks Lorina your advice has been really helpful. I feel much better about working today now that I've made a decision about the job. Thank you! :) I really appreciate it :)

Wunniebee

Post by Wunniebee » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:33 pm

That has happened to me so many times, they call me up after interveiw and ask me to work (with contracts) then all of a sudden I never hear from them again. Its unfair and unprofessional. I think if this happens to you again just leave. Its not worth your time to beg people like that or work, considering shes judging you.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Seems like when working as a casual you do get the run around here and there... I think it's hard working as a casual because it's very uncertain day to day knowing whether you will be working each day or not. If you do happen to find a good centre then it's such a bonus because you will often get work. One of the main benefits of being a casual besides the pay is that you get to move around and experience different centres so you can really see how other centres implement the framework and such!

@Law92 - Great to hear that you made a decision and I really hope you begin enjoying your work!! :thumbup:

Lorina

Iris2
Participator
Participator

Post by Iris2 » Tue May 08, 2018 5:51 pm

As a casual I don't think you legally need a contract. It is usually preferred to outline your employment conditions. As a casual for a big company, I got a contract straight away. I did feel like I was being messed around and I usually don't know when I'm going to work until that same day or the day before if I'm lucky, but I just go with the flow and it actually hasn't worked out badly. I get a decent amount of shifts and everything else is fine. You need to be really open-minded when you start out in the industry and accept whatever work is available. You should probably go with the more professional job if the opportunity is available but don't have high expectations for getting heaps of work and regular rosters as a casual new to the industry. By the way, a professional team will realise that workers have different personalities and strengths and more quiet people have some advantages, as well as the outgoing people. Children interact best with a variety of personalities, age groups and genders. We also shouldn't judge someone's personality too much on their first day!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Iris2 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:51 pm
As a casual I don't think you legally need a contract. It is usually preferred to outline your employment conditions. As a casual for a big company, I got a contract straight away. I did feel like I was being messed around and I usually don't know when I'm going to work until that same day or the day before if I'm lucky, but I just go with the flow and it actually hasn't worked out badly. I get a decent amount of shifts and everything else is fine. You need to be really open-minded when you start out in the industry and accept whatever work is available. You should probably go with the more professional job if the opportunity is available but don't have high expectations for getting heaps of work and regular rosters as a casual new to the industry. By the way, a professional team will realise that workers have different personalities and strengths and more quiet people have some advantages, as well as the outgoing people. Children interact best with a variety of personalities, age groups and genders. We also shouldn't judge someone's personality too much on their first day!
Thanks for sharing your experiences! One of the drawback of being casual is the unpredictability of your work during the week. However it does has a range of benefits such as the pay!

Each educator brings their own individuality into the service so being a casual enables you to learn from others at a variety of services!

Hope all is going well for you!

Lorina