putting placement on hold

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Amz_33
Participator
Participator

putting placement on hold

Post by Amz_33 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:22 am

was wondering if anyone has had to put their placement on hold due to family reasons.
i have only completed 35hrs where i should of done 55hrs by now. i am needing to do 120hrs.
i am finding it hard to make up the times i have missed. i am still wanting to complete the assignments for off the job as i only have 4 units left to complete for off the job. so once i return to placement i only have to worry about the placement assignments.
long story short.
i have 2 children with special needs that need to attend appts and also having problems with my son attending school. some of the appt are during school time and on my placement days as the days i do have off are already booked for therapy and hospital appts.
i am needing to be completed and assignments sent of by 21st of january 2018 and i know with all the time i need to take of i will not be completed by then.
have sent a email to my teacher explaining my reason for placement to be put on hold just waiting on a relpy back.
has anyone put placement on hold and then went on to complete placement and finished.

Lorina

Re: putting placement on hold

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:56 am

Due to the circumstances, I think you may need to put it on hold. You need to do what's best for you and your family. Family comes first! No 1 priority always!

:geek:,
Lorina

Amz_33
Participator
Participator

Post by Amz_33 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:44 am

This is what I got back.
I believe the best option for you now is to choose a number of units you wish to fully complete and focus on the 'on the job' tasks for just those units. Do what work placement you can and ensure your on the job tasks for the units decided are 'Satisfactory' . This will then hopefully give you some units of 'Competent' that you can use as credit transfer if you decide to re-enroll again
I have sent a another email asking about deferring my course for s few months or getting an extension on my course so it will give me a bit more time.
I’m not going to be able to get my certificate in January as I am needing to redo 2 units before I get my certificate.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 am

If you continue on with your qualification, you will still be in the same situation as not being able to spend time with your children and take them to the necessary appointments and so forth and the deadline of 21st January 2018, is still in place...

Asking for an extension or deferring your course for a couple of months is probably another option...

Lorina

Amz_33
Participator
Participator

Post by Amz_33 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:54 am

I was thinking the same thing when I read the email.
I feel like they don’t understand my situation.
I’m waiting to hear back regarding getting an extension or deferring the course.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:18 am

You’re right... It seems like they are hurrying you to complete your qualification. If their response doesn’t change after your request try and take it up with the Director/Head Department of your course provider.. In situations such as yours they should be offering more support!

Lorina

Amz_33
Participator
Participator

Post by Amz_33 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:14 pm

have got a email back and her understanding is that u cannot defer enrolment but i can re-enrol again next yr.
have been given a number to speak to a lady regading furthur clarification of what was said. the lady i am to speak to has a copy of my emails regarding my situation.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Ok...well you have the option of re-enrolling so that's good...

Lorina

Amz_33
Participator
Participator

Post by Amz_33 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:35 pm

im just gonna focus on what assignments i can get done with the hours im at placement and do them.
im also going to start looking for some tranieeships as a back up for next yr so i can study while im working at the centre.