Mind Maps

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
LindyT
Coach
Coach

Mind Maps

Post by LindyT » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:32 am

Hi all

I feel really stupid in asking this question but here goes.

Mind Maps.

How does one do a mind map and what is their purpose??

Have wondered this for ages. :oops:

Lorina

Re: Mind Maps

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Hi Lindy,

Basically a mind map is a visual way to represent ideas and concepts and it allows us to see how we are thinking. A mind map can also be used for brainstorming, planning, presenting information, problem solving etc.

To begin a mind map, start in the middle of a blank page and write or draw the idea or concept. For example: Insects, Farm, Space, Families etc. Develop the related subtopics around the central topic, connecting back to the centre with a line. For example: If choosing Farm for a concept, subtopics include: Machinery, Animals, Building, People etc.. Repeat the same process, connecting each subtopic to the corresponding one.

For younger children when doing a mind map it's good to use visual representations rather then writing. For example: Continuing on with the farm concept, it will be a good idea to get the children to draw what a farm looks like or cut out pictures of farms from a magazine (which will be the central image). Next ask the children what sorts of things you do and see on the farm and encourage children to come up with generic words such as People, Animals, Machinery etc.. These will now form the subtopics. The children could then use pictures from magazines or draw the images of the subtopics. After this you can then begin to ask questions about the subtopics. For example: "What animals could you find on a farm". The responses here will form more here will form more branches under the relevant sub topic. Mind maps are a fun way of capturing information and exploring a topic or interest. It's also a innovative learning tool which incorporates words and pictures together.

Here are a couple of examples of a mind map:

Hopefully this gives you a better understanding of what a mind map is,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks L.A

So I am on the right track with this attachment?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:33 pm

With my primary teaching hat back on momentarily, you are both on the right track and there is mind mapping software out there and some diagrams in Microsoft Word that would work.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks teresamc I found mindnode on my Mac as a free application.

teresamc

Post by teresamc » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:17 am

Oh good to know Lindy T. I haven't actually done any mind mapping on-line since I've had my Mac so hadn't really explored my options so that is a great help!

Joannalou1984
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Joannalou1984 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:27 pm

How do you liknk it back into the program?