Applying for Employment

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
JBrown26

Applying for Employment

Post by JBrown26 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your continual help and support. Currently I am studying a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care, I am roughly two modules over the half way point and I'm looking to start applying for positions in childcare as an assistant however I am stuck as to how I should start applying?

Backstory is this: I stopped working in Administration about 18 months ago to pursue my real love and passion for education, I havent worked since then and have been studying hard.

Can anyone please give me any tips or examples on how to write a cover letter/resume in this situation?

Thank you once again

Lorina

Re: Applying for Employment

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:42 pm

You must be very excited to start working in a centre! It's a big change from Administration to be able to work hands on with the children! Good on you! :thumbup:

So, I've written a few articles with suggestions and strategies to help you when applying for a job:

Writing A Resume
Key Selection Criteria
Preparing For An Interview

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

JBrown26

Post by JBrown26 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:04 am

Hi Lorina,

Thankyou for your reply however I wasn't looking for another generic link. I was asking how you would write a cover letter? This is my first job in Childcare and Id like to know what I can write to introduce myself, to help get myself a job in childcare whilst I am studying.. I just dont know how I can impress a potential childcare director into giving me my first job? HOW HELP PLEASE. I have asked my tutors, google, student support services everyone and no one helps!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:53 pm

Sure, no problem. The above links are some of the articles I had written regarding finding a job in childcare but yes, I understand what you mean. Sorry...

Ok, so in your cover letter, you can explain a little bit about your background and why you decided to switch to working with children. Talk about your passion to work with children, how you have enjoyed studying so far, and that you want to learn more to continue to support your knowledge etc. You could also add how you are a hard worker and would love the opportunity to work in a centre that could support your growth of learning about children.

Keep it simple and to the point. It shouldn't be more than 1 page.

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:54 pm

You could PM me a draft if you would like...

Lorina

JBrown26

Post by JBrown26 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 am

Could I get some feedback on what I've written so far and whether I should add anymore to it?

I am writing to apply for any Assistant Educator positions which you may have available.

Currently I am studying a Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care with TAFE which is due for completion in November. I also hold a current first aide certificate including anaphylaxis, asthma and resuscitation training as well as a clear working with children check.
My passion for the childcare industry began after my first nephew was born and after spending quality time with him, it made me realise I wanted to have an impact on young children’s lives and help them to grow, learn and gain valuable skills.
In addition to being a much organised student, I am creative and enthusiastic, and sensitive to children’s individual needs. I possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
I would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you in order to introduce myself and discuss any suitable positions that may be available. I have enclosed my resume for your consideration.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Ok so far so good...

I think you need to add a few more pointers:

Mention you’re interested in their centre and working for them (find their website and mention what you like about their centre)
Get to know a little about their centre/company and how your skills and experiences fit into their goals (find their website and go through the information).

JBrown26 wrote:QR_BBPOST I wanted to have an impact on young children’s lives and help them to grow, learn and gain valuable skills.

How will you do this, give an example...

JBrown26 wrote:QR_BBPOST I am creative and enthusiastic, and sensitive to children’s individual needs.

Give an example...

Hope this helps!

Lorina

JBrown26

Post by JBrown26 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Do you have any suggestions for an example of the following points.. Because I am so lost its not funny anymore..
I wanted to have an impact on young children’s lives and help them to grow, learn and gain valuable skills.
I am creative and enthusiastic, and sensitive to children’s individual needs.

And where do I mention in the letter about how i am interested in the center?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:08 pm

Maybe something like this:

I want to have an impact on young children’s lives and help them to grow, learn and gain valuable skills by creating a child centred atmoshere where children have the opportunity to master new challenges therough experiences that are meanigful to them.

I am creative and enthusiastic, and sensitive to children’s individual needs. I willl guide children in their learning and development with confidence in themselves and excitement doe continued learning.

You can mention at the beginning, so after you say "I am writing to apply for any Assistant Educator positions which you may have available". In the next paragraph you could add, I recently came across your website and I am very impressed with.... I feel that I can contribute to your service by.... I like your centre because... Then continue with what you wrote...

Hope this helps!

Lorina