How to encourage staff to be more proactive?

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
libbyjane

How to encourage staff to be more proactive?

Post by libbyjane » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi there,

First post here. We've had a few safety incidents, which we are wanting to rectify. We've identified that some of the contributing factors are 1) Rosters (too many transitions of staff during busy periods of the day) 2) Lack of stimulating experiences set up, so children seek out more risky scenarios. 3) Some staff seem to be disengaged - like their body is present, but their mind is drifting off somewhere else. They're not engaging with children, they're supporting their play and being purposeful with their supervision. Number 1 and 2 can be helped and we've tried some new things that seem to be working but number 3) is difficult. We've spoken about this at length in staff meetings and still the same few people, do not take this seriously at all. How do you encourage and support staff to be more proactive in this area?

Thanks,

libbyjane

Lorina

Re: How to encourage staff to be more proactive?

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Hi Libbyjane!

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

As an educator it's hard sometimes to do the same routine day in and day out... It's towards the end of the year and I think at this time the count down begins of when the holidays will start. Maybe you could simply ask these educators what they would like to do with the children, get them involved in setting up a particular experience during the day that they need to set up and get involved in. For example: Educator A - has to come up with a cooking experience, Educator B - has to come up with an art experience. Educator C - has to come up with a group outdoor game etc. Find out what their interests are and what they would like to share with the children. You get even get Educators to do something like an "About Me" where educators talk to the children about themselves show them pictures of their family. friends, etc. Try and get the educators on a more personal level with the children. If Educators are just following a program and are there to supervise the children it could get a bit boring if they are not actively involved in the planning process... If educators don't speak up you could even just give all educators an anonymous questionnaire to fill in so you can gather more feedback...

Hope this gives you some ideas!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:41 pm

You could also maybe set up an end of year project that enables the educators and children to work together to complete the project...

Lorina

coochielady

Post by coochielady » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:20 pm

I love moving the room around and moving the equipment to make it fresh and new again. It provides visual stimulation. music and yoga are also beneficial for relaxing and invigorating everyone young and old

libbyjane

Post by libbyjane » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Some good ideas, a lot to think about. I'm educational leader, so I do get bogged down in documentation sometimes. I'm thinking of stepping away from that area for a while and doing more on workplace culture. It may seem unrelated to educational leadership but I think how staff feel trickles down into every interaction they have throughout the day. If they're disengaged and feeling unsupported, they're going to be stressed and therefore not the best educators they can be. I've been reflecting on this quote, "You will not be good teachers if you focus only on what you do and not upon who you are." I think we've lost touch with who we are and are getting bogged down entirely on what we do. I think if I try the "about me" thing you suggested or even if we have a bit of fun with it, make it a game (like do a weekly guess who? in the staffroom), that could lighten up the atmosphere a bit. Might suggest some people try out some personality tests (like Keirsey, MBTI, enneagrams, The Big Five) and tell us something they discovered about themselves, that they'd like to share. I think if we keep it strengths-focused that way, it will help. Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

libbyjane

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi Libbyjane,

Yes, taking personality tests, maybe making the staff room more welcoming and friendly... Have weekly competitions or games can really help the educators mindset... Just making sure that all educators get a break from the children and maybe giving them something else to do in the staff room during their breaks... You could even add inspirational quotes or funny photos which could really lift an educators mood!

Lorina