Planning to resign after maternity leave

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
melissabrown

Planning to resign after maternity leave

Post by melissabrown » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:53 am

Hi to my fellow moms. Ill return to work tomorrow after 6 months of maternity leave. They paid me for 5 weeks, the rest was from centrelink plus my annual leave. I now have 3 kids and I was offered a new job near my place in Terrigal . I would like to accept the offer as I can spend more time with my kids. Whats the first move that I should do? I expect them to be all jolly tomorrow as Im back how do I tell them I want to resign. Do I owe my current company anything? Is there a minimum amount of time that I should stay? I already told the HR from my new job that Ill give them two weeks notice , I wonder what else im forgetting? Any advice would be appreciated please pm me for advice or maybe email melissabrown [at] mortgagebrokercentralcoast.com Im still using my old company email lol.

And btw, I really hate resigning....Iike Im a scared little school girl

Lorina

Re: Planning to resign after maternity leave

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:56 pm

First off, your children in the avatar you posted are gorgeous! With three kids, I don't blame you for wanting to spend time with them! They grow up so quickly that it's hard not to be with them through their young journey before they head to school. I always think once your child starts school a new chapter opens... You start to lose your "baby" as they mature pretty quickly, make new friends, get into the routine of school life, begin to distance themselves from you (as a parent) and that's how it evolves into adult hood.

I am spending every second I can with my 3 year old and have changed my work hours to revolve around my child. As I work from home at this stage it suits me fine. I wake up early before she gets up to get emails done, I work when she sleeps during the afternoon and primarily at night when she is off to bed. I have the luxury of doing this I am so grateful that I don't have to "go out and work".

For you and those parents that have no choice but to leave your children to go and work I have full respect for you... It must be very hard to do and I seriously don't know how you manage to do it!

Anyways, in regards to resignation I think you should do it like a bandaid! Just get it over and done with. It's probably best to let them know that you weren't specifically looking for a job it just happened and it provides you an opportunity to spend more time with your children, especially your youngest one.

For how much time you are required to give about your resignation it depends on how long you have been working at your current job and what it states in your Award/Agreement. I'm not too sure about your Award and what it states but you can check it from the Fair Work site:

Giving Notice

If you can get this information before putting in your resignation it's probably helpful because then you can plan accordingly. Also, don't just do it verbally. Have a resignation letter ready advising when your last day of work will be.

Resigning can be a little tad nerving because you don't know how they are going to react but you do what's best for you and your family! Don't worry about anyone else!

Let me know it goes!

:geek:,
Lorina

melissabrown

Re: Planning to resign after maternity leave

Post by melissabrown » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:14 am

Thanks for the tips @Lorina :)