Not allowed to wear sunglasses outside

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lems

Not allowed to wear sunglasses outside

Post by Lems » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:56 am

The centre I'm at doesn't allow educators to wear sunglasses outside as the company believes doing so impairs educator interactions with children. Is this a common rule in childcare? I understand the premise, but find it a bit strange that it could affect the level of interaction so much that the educator's own health is put at risk. Wondering whether I should contact Safe Work for clarification?

Lorina

Re: Not allowed to wear sunglasses outside

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Interesting! Never had heard this before...

Maybe you should check... Would like to know what Safe Work has to say...

Although regarding educators wearing hats outside during outdoor play... I know that we are not allowed to wear "caps" only broad rimmed hats...

:geek:,
Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:21 am

Maybe because it is hard to have eye to eye contact with dark glasses on? I have never heard of it though, if anything we are encouraged to wear them for eye protection. Anyway a really good wide brim hat will also protect your eyes from the sun.

Linsaa fdc :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:01 pm

Lems - Did you happen to contact Safe Work about the sunglasses?

Lorina

Lems

Post by Lems » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi,

Sorry about taking so long to get back to this post. This is what SafeWork had to say:

Under section 19 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act), a person conducting business or undertaking (PCBU) must ensure, so far as it reasonably practicable the health and safety of workers including the provision and maintenance of a work environment without risks to health and safety.

If the workers are being exposed to the sun when carrying out their work activities, the PCBU needs to manage the sun exposure hazard to prevent the risks of skin cancer.

When choosing the right Personal Protective equipment (PPE )for the job, the selection processes must include consultation with workers and preference for PPE that complies with the relevant Australian Standard or equivalent standard.

If determined that sunglasses are appropriate PPE for your workplace, the sunglasses would need to meet Australia Standard AS:1067 and be close fitting to the face.

If you have identified a safety concern in the workplace you should attempt the following avenues prior to engaging the services of SafeWork NSW:
• reporting the issue verbally to your supervisor or manager
• reporting the issue through the workplace's hazard reporting procedures
• raising the issue with their health and safety representative (HSR)
• raising the issue with their union representatives.

If none of these courses of action are appropriate or successful, you can contact us for assistance on 13 10 50 to lodge a complaint known as a Request for Service.

I spoke with my director again and she said that the company was going to look into it. I also got the ok to wear sunglasses, which was good to hear. Definitely keen to minimise any chance of sun damage.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:25 am

That's good news :wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:59 am

Lems wrote:Hi,

Sorry about taking so long to get back to this post. This is what SafeWork had to say:

Under section 19 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act), a person conducting business or undertaking (PCBU) must ensure, so far as it reasonably practicable the health and safety of workers including the provision and maintenance of a work environment without risks to health and safety.

If the workers are being exposed to the sun when carrying out their work activities, the PCBU needs to manage the sun exposure hazard to prevent the risks of skin cancer.

When choosing the right Personal Protective equipment (PPE )for the job, the selection processes must include consultation with workers and preference for PPE that complies with the relevant Australian Standard or equivalent standard.

If determined that sunglasses are appropriate PPE for your workplace, the sunglasses would need to meet Australia Standard AS:1067 and be close fitting to the face.

If you have identified a safety concern in the workplace you should attempt the following avenues prior to engaging the services of SafeWork NSW:
• reporting the issue verbally to your supervisor or manager
• reporting the issue through the workplace's hazard reporting procedures
• raising the issue with their health and safety representative (HSR)
• raising the issue with their union representatives.

If none of these courses of action are appropriate or successful, you can contact us for assistance on 13 10 50 to lodge a complaint known as a Request for Service.

I spoke with my director again and she said that the company was going to look into it. I also got the ok to wear sunglasses, which was good to hear. Definitely keen to minimise any chance of sun damage.
Thanks so much for sharing this information! Really helpful!

Lorina