Fire drill assembly point - next street

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
thakshana
Participator
Participator

Fire drill assembly point - next street

Post by thakshana » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:56 am

Hi Lorina and Everone,

I have a question about fire drill.
In one of the centre's fire evacuation plan (which was made professionally) shows the assembly point is on the next street from the child care centre. So does that mean that we need to take all the children to next street during every fire drill. The centre has babies , toddlers and preschoolers. Are we allowed to take the children outside the premises other than the real emergencies?. I am bit confused. it is actually a great help if someone could clarify this.

Thank you so much for your time and effort
sumathi

Lorina

Re: Fire drill assembly point - next street

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi Sumathi,

When practicing a fire drill you will need to follow the procedure exactly as it outlines in the policy. This is done so if an emergency does take place, the educators and children know exactly what to do. So, I think if you need to assemble in the next street then you will need to do it, so you can understand exactly where on the street you can assemble, how you are going to keep the children off the road etc. It will be good practice for the educators and the children. I completely understand that it can be quite an effot trying to get all the children on the next street just for a fire drill but you would rather practice now then get caught up during a real emergency.

I'm sorry for my delayed reply, my daughter has been sick...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

thakshana
Participator
Participator

Post by thakshana » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:33 am

Hi Lorina,
Thank you for your suggestion Lorina. It makes sense 'I'm sorry to hear that your daughter was sick'.
I hope she is in goodhealth now. Take care.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:20 pm

No problem! My little one is all good! :thumbup:

thakshana
Participator
Participator

Post by thakshana » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:58 am

Thank you Lorina

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi Thakshana,
Definitely everything Lorina said, they must have a good reason to have the meeting place on the next street it would be a nightmare getting everyone out and across the street safely, i would be inclined to practice that at least monthly.....I would ask why across the street is so I would be curious to find out. When we did a visit to the Fire Station the firemen said to us to always make the safe meeting place the mailbox.
So many educators get slack with these drills, it is only by practicing regularly that the whole process becomes 2nd nature to all of us. In FDC we only need to do it once a quarter, as far as I am concerned its not enough. I still do the drills quarterly but we do them every day for a whole week and make it lots of fun and incorporate all kinds of very basic first aid learning as well.... we really look forward to it and I find doing it for the week sticks with the children. All I need to say to my little group of 3 two year olds and 1 three year old is 'lockdown' and they will hold each others little hands and walk to the office room at the front of my house and sit together very quietly while I lock up and then go to them.... its too cute.
Linsaa fdc :wave:

thakshana
Participator
Participator

Post by thakshana » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:43 am

Thank you linsaa fdc, it's very helpful to hear such participation. you are right, i am curious to know why it's across the street.
we need to ask and clarify.
Sumathi