Trouble at new centre

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Trouble at new centre

Post by Elianaa » Sat May 07, 2016 1:22 am

Hi,
I have just started at a centre that is brand new, we have only been open for two weeks.
I already hate it so much. I am a cert 3, they have had me filling in as the kinder teacher. They have been ignoring dietary restrictions in other rooms and then I get grilled at the end of the day when they have already gone home. Also having multiple parental complaints because educators are just putting on cartoons on the iPad for the kids to watch.
But my real problem is my room leader. I am full time in the 15 month to 2 year old room.
It is just chaos from open to close. There is a ridiculous amount of resources out, probably literally 500 things!! Which results in toys being everywhere. I picked up the toys in one corner and it filled two large tubs. Yet my room leader won't let me put any of them away in the cupboard.
Probably 50% of the children are hysterically crying for the whole day. My room leader won't let me pick up the children. She just says to them "you're okay" and walks away.
Today She wouldn't let me hold a girl while she fell asleep. I did it yesterday and she fell asleep within 5 minutes.
Today she screamed for 40 minutes straight and she still wouldn't let me hold her. This caused her to be extremely tired and unhappy all afternoon, and eventually at about 5pm she just fell asleep on me while I was reading a book.
My room leader has put up in depth teaching strategies for activities she had planned that aren't at all age appropriate, yet she has no idea what any of the children's names are, refuses to make bed or locker tags and is frustrating me so much I want to quit!!
Should I just find a new job, try and persist or ask to be moved to a different room?
I'm sorry for the super long post, I'm just frustrated and need to rant!

Lorina

Re: Trouble at new centre

Post by Lorina » Sat May 07, 2016 5:24 pm

These are a lot of problems to have in only 2 weeks! It sounds like the educators at this centre are not following the NQF! Not following dietary regulations is very serious as well as all the other issues you are facing! Have you spoken to the Director about this??

:geek:,
Lorina

Elianaa
Participator
Participator

Post by Elianaa » Sun May 08, 2016 9:48 am

I haven't spoken to my director. I guess I've been thinking I should give it some time before complaining?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 09, 2016 11:26 am

Well if you are already considering leaving it seems like the issues need to be addressed. Just talk to the director and see what they say... Look, if it's already like this in just 2 weeks I don't think it's going to get any better... the longer you wait the bigger the problem is going to get...

Lorina

CThomas

Post by CThomas » Wed May 18, 2016 4:30 pm

I agree with Lorina. You need to ask your director for the centre's grievance policy, and then take the first step outlined in the policy. I'm worried that if you leave, the next educator won't be as caring. It sounds like the children in the room may be at risk emotionally. Especially being toddler age. We know how important it is for children to have secure attachments with their educators. If you aren't happy with how the Director handles your concerns, you could always contact your Regulatory Authority for help. If you don't stand up for these vulnerable children, then who will?

indego
Participator
Participator

Post by indego » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:09 pm

I'm in a very similar position, Elianaa.

I started in an OSHC service four weeks ago, and my list of complaints is already multiple pages long. BASIC stuff like ratios not being met, utter disrespect for children from the other staff... Today the owner told another Educator and I that we had to "break" a grade 6 boy to put him back in his place. I was horrified.

I spoke with the owner about the things like ratios (I didn't speak with her about her "breaking" the grade 6s, because an ocelot wearing a diploma as a hat should know that's not on) and while she'll nod and agree, she'll then go on to point out why she doesn't feel she should have to follow the law and then she'll continue to break it.
So I've started applying for other jobs.

While I think you should talk with the director, and make sure s/he knows how you're feeling and what's going on, I doubt it's a case of the director not knowing what's going on.

If the director DOESN'T know what's going on, it's a question of if you want to stick it out through the improvements that clearly need to be made, with a room leader who might not be willing to implement them.
If the director does know, and hasn't taken any action, it becomes a question of if you want to stick it out in a work place your unhappy in int he hopes of effecting change from within, or for the sake of the children.

Personally, I've made the call to look else where for employment because I don't think I'll be able to effect any change at all - let alone enough to make a difference.
And while it's a shame to leave so many children in a shoddy service with an owner who seems to think the law doesn't apply to her... I can't be a good Educator when I'm stressed, angry, and miserable whenever I'm at work.

I hope you find a way to work it out :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:36 pm

Another story about how centres can get it so wrong! Parents are sending their children to the centre and little do they know what's really going on! Yes, you're right you can't be a good educator while you're stressed, angry and miserable and you have every right to move on. Listen you may not be able to stick around but you can make an anonymous complaint to ACECQA about the centre. If you can provide and gather evidence of regulations not being met you can contact ACECQA to make a complaint and hopefully they will follow up on it! At least you may not physically be able to make a change but ACECQA certainly can!

Think about it:

Lorina