Scenario: Neve - Allergies

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
muskaan

Scenario: Neve - Allergies

Post by muskaan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Neve, a 3 year old child with severe allergies is enrolled to start care at the service at the commencement of the year. Neve is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts such as cashews, almonds and hazelnuts, and egg.
Neve’s parents, Sarah and Michael, have told you Neve can experience difficulty breathing, swelling or tightness in the throat and a hoarse voice as a result of her allergies. Symptoms usually appear within minutes of exposure to the allergens.
Neve has been prescribed adrenaline in an auto-injector, commonly known as an EpiPen ® for administration in an emergency. She currently weighs under 20kg so uses the EpiPen ® Junior which administers a smaller dose of adrenaline.

questions and my ans so far:
1. What would you ask the parents for while they are enrolling Neve?
I would ask parents about food needs and family eating patterns before enrolling their child in the service.
I need to decide whether or not the program can provide the foods that meet her special dietary needs before agreeing to enroll her in the child care.
If we cannot provide foods to meet her needs, i would ask the parents to provide meals and snacks that meet their child's needs.
Also need to ask if she take food from peers and if she has any other food allergies?
2. What procedures would you need to ensure are in place before Neve commences care?
I need to ensure that all staff has knowledge and undertaken anaphylaxis training and they need to know how and when to administer the adrenaline auto injector.
Ensure that staff and myself have knowledge and information on food allergy and anaphylaxis and create environments that are safer for all children.
Maintain a minimum of one adrenaline auto-injector stored within a service first aid kit.
Be familiar with Neves’ Action Plan for Anaphylaxis. Develop an Anaphylaxis Risk Management Plan.
I should also Identify foods used in service that contain known allergens and replace with other suitable foods.
3. What privacy considerations should be taken into account in relation to Neve’s health needs?
(need help..)
4. How would you ensure Neve does not eat nuts and eggs, and is catered for during meal times?
I would have regular discussions with children about the importance of eating their own food and not sharing
Make sure that food is eaten in specific area which is supervised by educator.

source: http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/hea ... chools.pdf
https://www.allergyfacts.org.au/how-to- ... -childcare
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/anaphylaxis ... elines.pdf
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

muskaan

Re: case study

Post by muskaan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 pm

what privacy consideration should be taken into account in relation to Neve's health needs?

my ans: Neve’s parents/guardians may not wish the identity of their child who is at risk of anaphylaxis to be disclosed within the service.
I should discuss with the child’s parents about service policy that we need to share information with other staff so they know the child in their care who is at risk of anaphylaxis. I must obtain a written consent from parents to display the child’s name, photograph and relevant treatment details in staff areas, the child’s room and food preparation areas for ASCIA Action Plan and staff can follow in the event of an allergic reaction.

any suggestion would help me..thanks

Lorina

Re: case study

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 am

What would you ask the parents for while they are enrolling Neve?

In Australia all early childhood centres are nut free so this means that no nuts should be allowed in the service at all. With the egg allergy, you could ask the parents if this includes raw egg, egg in cakes and biscuits etc. In regards to the meals, if the centre provides all meals you will need to accommodate Neve with hers. To do this on the days that she comes you need provide alternative meals. Talk to the parents about what alternatives they provide such as cakes, biscuits etc. You could also ask when the last time she had an allergic reaction...

I think the rest of your responses are good!:thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

muskaan

Re: Sceanario: Neve - Allergies

Post by muskaan » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Lorina

thanks a lot :)

Gajtedmed

Post by Gajtedmed » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 pm

Would you accept the child in the service without his epi-pen?
Help please??

Lorina

Re:

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 am

Gajtedmed wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:10 pm
Would you accept the child in the service without his epi-pen?
Help please??
At the centre there will always be one available in case a child does have theirs. In the chance that a child uses it - it needs to be replaced.

:geek:,
Lorina