Unfair Work Conditions As A Trainee

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kahaki4

Unfair Work Conditions As A Trainee

Post by kahaki4 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:57 am

ok, here is my issue. I am doing a training ship,i have about 6months left into it. My problem is my boss gets me to do all the crappy stuff. she said i have to attend staff meeting after hours, and i don't even get paid for them. the centre took the kids out for the day,so my day should have finished at 6pm,but i had to stay there till 10pm (to clean up),and didn't even get paid. I cannot let my training supervisor know as she and my boss are friends. I have been searching to internet to see how i can get out of my training ship, but i realise my boss has to allow me to go, (and she wont),she is ungreatful if we do anything good. Many people have left and not completed their training ship. Please help as i am getting upset which is causing problems with my boyfriend.
Last edited by Lorina on Fri May 03, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: problems

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi Kahaki4,

What a dilemma your in. I understand your situation and how frustrating it can be.

It doesnt sound like a great place to work...why dont you find a job in the meantime and just transfer your traineeship over to a new centre. Im sure the director wont mind seeing as you only have 6 mnths left, the centre will gain a qualified person quicker.

You definitely should not have to stay at work until 10pm! That is unacceptable. You may have to do some cleaning which is completely fine but havent to stay that late is unbelievable. Especailly if you dont get paid for it...Does your boss know you stayed that late? Do any other staff have to stay that late?

Regarding the staff meetings, when your working at a centre you have to attend staff meetings its compulsory even though you dont get paid (alot of staff have complained about that). The only reason why staff meetings are held after work because thats the only time that you can really have one without distruptions from the kids and parents...I know how much that sucks.

Regarding your traineeship, its a conflict of interest that your training supervisor and your boss are friends, that makes it more hard... even though you should still be able to tell your training supervisor about whats happening. At the end of the day its not your problem if they are friends what your boss is doing is not right and she has to understand that. If you tell her whats the worst thing that could happen?

Do you work in a privately run centre or a company? Because if you work in a company you could always discuss this issue with the managers (in charge of the director). If you cant contact the managers get onto the website and contact them and tell them your a staff member wanting to make a complaint. Im sure they will put you through to someone.

If you work in a privately run centre you should discuss this issue with the authorised supervisor/2IC, once she knows your issue she can take it up with the director on your behalf.

I also think you should just confront your director in a professional way and tell her that your feeling upset because you dont like the duties that she is making you do...

She probably doesnt even know that your feeling this way... Im sure if you discussed it with her that she would realize and fix the situation...

I really hope you get this issue sorted..I know how stressful this can be especially with loved ones.

I hope this helps...

Lorina

Re: problems

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:29 am

Hey Kahaki4,

I actually found a copy of the NSW guide to apprenticeships and traineeships which you may like to read. It has information on everything including dealing with difficulties at your work place.

I have sent you a private message so be sure to check your private messages.

I really hope this helps.
Last edited by admin on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.