Adapting A Service For Additional Needs & Supporting Behavior

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Casey21

Adapting A Service For Additional Needs & Supporting Behavior

Post by Casey21 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:12 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: inclusion and co-operative behaviour units
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
1. When caring for a child with an additional need we may need to adapt the service. What can this adaption involve?

2. How can a carer’s relationship with the child and his/her family support behaviour managements programs?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
1 The adaption can vary depending on what time of additional needs your catering for as you may need to make adaption to the environment like adding ramps for better access to service indoors and out having railing in bathroom. Also adapt the play space both indoor and outdoor for example back thing accessible to children this will help all children play together and have fun always remember to always ask parent’s how can you change the environment to suit your child’s needs.

2.Having a good relationship with families helps with managing behaviour as it is good to have open communication with families about behaviour programs for example if service was considering making a sticker chart or tick chart to encourage children to sit during group time, share the toys or equipment you would consult this plan with parent’s and also update them on the progress it is making. If you were going to make a behaviour management program you would need to record your observation about the behaviour noted what time and what might be triggering these behaviours you will also need to communicator with families to see if this behaviour is also occurring at home or just when the child’s is in care? As the families might also like, to have a say about the program that will be implemented. Once the program in running you will have to review the program to see if the strategies are helping with the behaviour. You would have ongoing communication the family and other educators to make sure all staff are on board with the behaviour management plan.

Description and Message:
With question 1
I'm just wondering what other adaption might be required?

With question 2 my teacher has also asked
What to do if a family doesn't support behaviour management?

Thanks any help or suggestion will be great thanks again :)
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: provide for children's developmental needs

Post by Lorina » Mon May 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Both if your responses are detailed and well thought out... For Q1 the following info may help add to your response:

Adapting the Child Care Environment

For Q2:

If the parents don't support the behaviour I management plan then you all need to work together to establish positive guidelines that can be used to support the child's behaviour. It's important before making the behaviour management plan that you discuss issues or concerns with parents so they are aware of what is going on with their child. The behaviour management plan needs to include strategies from both the centre and at home and that's why it's important to work together with the parents.

See if the following helps:Behaviour Management Plans In Childcare (available in our Wiki, in Childcare Articles)

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Casey21

Post by Casey21 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:21 am

Thanks heaps LA for all you help over the study of my diploma fingers cross I pass I plan on having everything handing in by this weekend

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:08 am

No problem! Glad to have helped you with your studies!! :thumbup:

Good Luck and I hope you have a great career working with children!!

Remember we are always here if you need us! :D

:geek:,
L.A