Studying Bachelor Degree after Diploma

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
MsEm

Studying Bachelor Degree after Diploma

Post by MsEm » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this forum, from Melbourne, VIC. I recently completed my Cert III in Children's Services and am looking to go on and study Diploma shortly. I am also considering going to do my Bachelor later on, as I have heard that doing your diploma first can slice quite a bit of time off doing the Bachelor at Uni (I have been told it's just 2 years at Uni after gaining diploma)

Can anyone give me any information regarding this? Does it matter who I do my diploma with, as far as training organisations go?

Or ultimately, is it more worthwhile to go straight onto doing Bachelor and not worry about diploma at all?

Hope this makes sense... I have been told a few different things and I'm a bit confused :/

Thanks in advance <3
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Career In Childcare forum

Lorina

Re: Studying Bachelor Degree after Diploma

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:40 am

Hi MsEm,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

When doing your Diploma before your Degree it only entitles you to a year off. The units which you will get off from your degree is about working in early childhood settings etc. However, if you are not willing to start your degree for a couple years I'd suggest you complete your Diploma. If you are willing to get straight into it then do the Degree. Getting a year off the Degree is not very significant considering it will take you a year to complete your Diploma anyway. So, the year you lose from your Diploma you will be a uni student completing your Degree instead.

If you are continuing onto your Diploma, it doesn't matter which institute you do it through as long as it is recognized throughout Australia. The modules and units are all the same no matter who you study through the only difference would be the assignments and tasks.

You can check out the following forum where users have talked about getting their Degrees. The information in here may help you:

Bachelor Degree - General Discussions

Let me know if you have any further questions,

Good Luck,

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi ! Thought I'd chime in too- I believe the Bachelor of Teaching ( Early Childhood ) is the degree where the Diploma would reduce the study time to 1-2 years at university. This qualification is tailored specifically for those intending to teach only in long day care settings- ages 0-5 only.
A forum member here is taking this route. And I hope to do so as well! :wave:

MsEm

Post by MsEm » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks so much for your warm welcome and responses! :D Much appreciated!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Diploma only gives you 8 units off your degree so that is = to one year. If you are lucky you MAY get 10 units credit
I would do your Diploma, especially if you want to continue working while studying as you then can get a Group Leader position which will help you during your degree prac and assignment wise as you will have more knowledge etc

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Fefe are you referring to the UNE course? Bachelor of teaching? I am perpetually confused lol!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:02 pm

No that is in general for a normal Bachelor of Education
UNE give you 2 years off if you have your Diploma

MsEm

Post by MsEm » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:31 pm

This is why I'm confused, ahah

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm

UNE give u 2 years credit on their 3 year bachelor of teaching (ec) degree as long as u have your diploma & 1 yr FT experience as a group leader

Most other Unis give 8 units credit on an early childhood degree

jess291

Post by jess291 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:38 pm

I know this is a bit old now hopefully I can still get a response. I'm wondering the same thing am I best to do my diploma first or straight into the bachelor ? It's really got me stuffed. If I did get the diploma I could work during uni but I believe there is certain legislations which mean you can still work if you're actively working towards a qualification... Anyone have some advice ? Thanks

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:32 pm

I'd get the diploma first unless you don't want to work while studying. Once you have the diploma you'll get credit for it when you do the degree. It will also get you a bit more prepared for the study though in NO way is the diploma workload anywhere near Uni studies

jess291

Post by jess291 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 pm

I was thinking that's the way to go. Thank you!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Good luck

michelle123

Post by michelle123 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:16 am

Hi I have my diploma and are thinking of studying for the bachelor of early childhood 0-5years.
How long is this if I have only been doing casual diploma work for the last 2 years and what is the best place to study the bachelor online. I want to do it online as I am working and have 2 children so going to uni is out of the question for me.
How much do you get credit for if you have the diploma already.
Please respond asap as I want to sort this out soon.
Thankyou in advance.
Michelle

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 am

Michelle,
different universities will give you differing amounts of credit for the Diploma ...usually it is about 8 credit units (ie a year), some univeristies may take in to account your experience eg my degree you had to have a Diploma + 1 year FT experience as a GL or a Diploma + 2 years experience in FDC to gain the advance placement.

Many Unis do this degree online (USQ, UNE, CSU, CQU etc) ...again go to the uni sites and find the degree and it will tell you what the delivery method is. You need to find a uni that you will be happy with. It is best to call or email the Universities directly in regards to your experience and how much RPL you can get.

wimble
Participator
Participator

Post by wimble » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:40 pm

The good thing is if you have your diploma and finish 50% of your bachelor of early childhood, you can be employed as an early childhood teacher. ECT=payrise... Being employed as an ECT is in my view the only way to really make a decent wage in childcare (~$28/hr for first years).

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 pm

Not necessarily. I've known many ECTs who have been on $26/hr

Dollyujjala

Post by Dollyujjala » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I have enrolled myself for ECT in CSU after finishing my Diploma. It is an online course. They have given me 128cr out of 256 but the degree is planned to be completed in 4 years with 2 sessions per year with 2 subjects per session. I assumed it would be 2 years, I wouldn't be able to continue for 4 years.

Can anyone help me here please? is it up to me to plan my own degree like choosing more subjects per session etc? anyone who did this from CSU can you please guide me?

Thanks,

Dolly

Cleo123

Post by Cleo123 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have completed my Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care (CHC50113) and am enrolled in the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) with Curtin University (online). Can someone please help me match the units from my Diploma to the Bachelor units so I can apply for credit/exemption of units that I have already completed in my Diploma. Here is the course structure link for Bachelor of Education (curtin website).
http://handbook.curtin.edu.au/courses/31/319439.html