Teaching 1-2 year olds help please

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
CFDC

Teaching 1-2 year olds help please

Post by CFDC » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:07 pm

I have only been doing Family Day Care for 1 month so this is very new to me. I am also a mother of a 1 year old.
My children in care range from 1-2 years and I am wondering if anyone has any examples of weekly planning / activities for little ones of this age as I am finding it a little hard planning lots of activities as their attention is only short lived and they want to move on to the next thing, sometimes it takes me longer setting up the activity then them actually doing it. I sing songs to them, Dance, Puppets, read books, painting, sandpit but I feel like I should be doing more to teach them and give variety so any help would be appreciated.
TIA

Lorina

Re: Teaching 1-2 year olds help please

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes, planning for a one year old is hard because of their short attention span. Like you said, you probably spent more time setting up then they are actually involved in the experience. Talk to parents about their interests or skills they are developing at home and plan according to that. For e.g. if a child is interested in animals then set up some animal figurines with some animal pictures. If one of the children are beginning to follow simple directions, plan an experience/game where you say easy directions for a child to follow. For e.g "Simon says". Have lots of sensory experiences, painting, water play, building, puzzles, dolls etc. Since they are young they will lose interest in experiences quickly so keep them simple and easy to set up and pack away.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A