Room Ideas - Wall Displays and Areas

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
123gcj

Room Ideas - Wall Displays and Areas

Post by 123gcj » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Hi everyone just wanting to get some ideas on what you put up on your walls to show what your doing in your rooms. We put up all are craft work for the parents to see but what i am trying to get some different ideas on how to dsplay there artwork and display what we do in the room. If everyone can please tell what they do in there rooms that would be great thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: room ideas

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi 123gcj,

On the craft wall you call it "The Art Gallery". Instead of placing each child's artwork you could select only one and keep adding different craft until the wall is full. I've seen this done at a centre and it look effective. You could also buy some cheap frames and add art into them then nail them onto the wall. Below art work you could add children's name labels and and a learning outcome to link it to the EYLF.

Good idea to also have a photo wall. You can print photos in black and white and add them to the wall. You could also add a learning outcome that describes the photo. Umm... A Special Events wall, with photos of the different events that occurred in the centre such as picnics, bbq, sports days etc... Oh and I also have a learning story wall where I add all the learning stories that I created...

Hope This Gives You Some Ideas,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

rooneyzeus

Post by rooneyzeus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Well at my Monkey Puzzle nursery in Milton Keynes we normally set up events displaying the work of the kids especially on weekends. The idea of posting their work on the wall is also good.You can also create a pinboard on which the kids could simply attach their work. :D

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm

I have seen where they have made a 'child space' a large piece of coloured paper with child's name and photo on it in different area's of the room and than 1 or 2 pieces of artwork is placed on here. Picked by child or care giver. They can also put photo's of outside play or things the child has built in sand pit.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Another idea which was extremely effective that I did one year... On one wall I made a big tree ( which covered the wall) out of cardboard, paper and paint etc and hanging from the tree I added photo frames and in each frame I added each child's family photo.

I would probably change it to do small trees the child's height so they could see the photos whenever they wanted... Or if you have a spare wall you could do a family photo collage at children's height. I jut thnk it's very important to incorporate a child's family into the centre and this is one approach...

:geek:,
L.A

Sissy

Post by Sissy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:42 pm

At my centre in each room we have an Art gallery where we display childrens art work, we also take photos of the child doing the art and pasting it to the art work. We have a project wall, this is where we display the room interests, this could last up to a month or 2 depending on the interests. The project wall consists of photo and art evidence done over the period (this is good to show you are extending the childrens interests). We have individual learning stories as well as group daily learning stories. On another wall we have family photos displayed, the children like to look at photos of themselves and their families.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:11 am

Another idea...

If you have a spare wall or even a back of a shelf that you are using to divide a section of the room, you can purchase blackboard paint and magnetic paint. You could paint an entire area with one of these and the children will love being allowed to draw on the wall or use magnets on the wall to create stories or pictures.

Just remember to do it at children's level so it's not too high!

L.A

Normy86

Post by Normy86 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

We have recently started using canvases to express and show what the children have been learning about. We put the different objects on the canvas, display it on the wall then put some photos around it showing features of the learning journey.

We have also started steering away from having too much up on our walls...so alot of our artwork goes into display folders that we call a book. We put them out for parents and in our Relaxation Station for children to look at and talk about.

Goodluck!!! Sounds like you have some fun and great ideas to work with!

Angel mist

Post by Angel mist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:05 am

Dear Normy86,
Relaxation Station sounds a wonderful area, if possible I would love to hear about this area and how you set it up please,
Many thanks ...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:36 am

Angel mist wrote:Dear Normy86,
Relaxation Station sounds a wonderful area, if possible I would love to hear about this area and how you set it up please,
Many thanks ...

A relaxation station does sound very comforting doesn't it! I haven't created a relaxation station myself but to me it sounds like a place where the children can go and relax and be peaceful. I would probably add a tent or canopy, fluffy rug, pillows, rocking chairs, indoor plants, calming music etc. A comforting place for children to settle.

L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:36 pm

I have a small corner in my room called "The Calming Bay". In this corner I have set up a mat with a small wooden table with two pillows and a few soft toys. The wooden table is low so children sit around it. On the table I have a basket of books, a basket wih drawing paper and crayons and another with felts. I change this every week. I play nature sounds and have a poster of the rainforest. Only 2 children are allowed in the calming bay at a time for 10 minutes. I use a timer. Works extremely well and kids look forward to spending time there.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Love this ideas of the calming bay... Sounds cool too! Awesome little addition to add to the room! :thumbup:

L.A

Lorina

Re: Room Ideas - Wall Displays and Areas

Post by Lorina » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:26 am

Another idea to share:

For "Calender of Events" use a picture frame for each month (12 frames). In each frame simply add paper and write or type the date and the event written for e.g. 14 Feb - Valentines Day Celebration etc. Hang the frames on the wall in corresponding months. When the event occurs you can write a learning story that corresponds with the event. Also the learning stories can be framed and added to the wall as well along with the "Calender Of Events".

L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Room Ideas - Wall Displays and Areas

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:37 pm

For preschool room - Where the clock is hang up create 5 paper clocks, each with breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, late snack as headings and add the times that these happen.