Kimochis-Teaching Children to Identify & Manage Feelings

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Kimochis-Teaching Children to Identify & Manage Feelings

Post by NorthLight36 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Has anyone here tried using Kimochis in their centres at all? I was put onto them by one of my Cert. III teachers and fell in love with the idea, only to forget until a few weeks ago when I was reminded of them by a video on social-emotional learning. I've got three coming to me in the mail and most of the extra feelings and I'm really excited to try using them at work. However I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with them.

http://www.kimochis.com.au/
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Childcare Programming forum, , topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Kimochis-Teaching Children to Identify & Manage Feelings

Post by Lorina » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:48 am

I have never heard of these before...

It's a good idea! It will encourage children in a fun and positive way to express themselves...

:geek:,
L.A

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:30 am

They are wonderful. While I haven't personally used them, yet, I've spoken to people who have had a lot of success with them. Plus, they're incredibly cute and the resource book for Early Learning Centres that can be purchased as well is fantastic. I'll post an update after I've had a chance to try my three out if people are interested.

If anyone else is interested in trying them, Amazon is a lot cheaper then any of the Australian stores, but their stock is often low.

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Just thought I'd update people on these.

I took Bug into one of the Pre-schools I've worked at and sat down with a handful of children. Everyone (including me) quite enjoyed a game of putting various feelings into Bug such as Shy, Sad and Angry and figuring out ways we could help Bug feel Comfortable, Happy and Loved. It was great fun and a fantastic learning experience for the children, particularly as this was a pre-school where five or six of the children like to express feeling Angry with their fists and feet!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Is that the first time you have used them? What a positive experience you had! Hope you took plenty of pics, make a great learning story for the children involved!

I think these will also be helpful for parents to communicate with their children. So many times parents are unable to find out how their child is feeling but using these will help. Also for the younger children it would be beneficial. You could even do "if you're happy and you know it" and each time bring out a different feeling that the children sing...lol...

They are really cute though, it would be nice to have these as part of a collection whether they are for home or for teaching....

L.A

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:15 pm

Yep! That was the first time I've used them and I'm really looking forward to having another chance.

And you're right! They are HIGHLY collectible, particularly given that they all have different personalities and little stories. I started out thinking I'd just get Cat. Then I thought, "But I have shy and tempermental children who'd relate to Bug and Cloud better..." And before I knew it, I have everyone except Clover! :D

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:29 pm

:giggle:

They are better then getting a stuffed toy which some parents are obsessed about! Besides you mentioning it previously I've never heard of these before. What a shame really, I'm sure many educators and parents will love to invest in these!

L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:19 pm

My sister just bought me Bella Rose! Lol... Gosh they are so cute! Love to get the whole set!! 

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Cat's my personal favourite (I love cats), but the different colours and textures on Bella Rose make her special.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:02 pm

I would love to get them for our centre, but they are really expensive arn't they?

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm

They are, but they're cheaper on Amazon then they are on the Australian website and the postage time isn't too bad. Or you could get the smaller ones, which... have their issues (I've heard it's hard for children to fit the feeling toys in the smaller pouch) but are about half the price. Or keep an eye on Ebay.

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks NorthLight36
I will keep my eyes open. BTW I love your profile picture. The cutest baby eva.xx

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:18 pm

He's adorable isn't he? My baby cousin, Alex. Born on my birthday too. How's that for a gift?

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 pm

He is beautiful, you are so lucky..xx

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Beautiful and getting so big. I think basketball is in his future if he keeps growing like this. ;) But we're getting off topic, I fear.