indoor, outdoor or both? 15-20 month room

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

indoor, outdoor or both? 15-20 month room

Post by tinkataylor » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:04 am

Hi guys,

I really want to incorporate a free flowing, indoor/outdoor program where we have the doors open to the playground nearly all day and the kids can roam around to their interests.

The problem is that when we have done this in the past the children have all gone outside and none have come in, maybe one every now and again but that leaves one staff outside with 9 kids! (Going by a 1:5ratio)

My boss has also told me my room is very much the same and I dont know how to make it more interesting for my kids!

Have you had the same problem? Do you do indoor/outdoor programs?

Thanks heaps

Lorina

Re: indoor, outdoor or both? 15-20 month room

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 am

I was just reading up on the quality areas for another question and it states this in QA 3.1.3
Facilities are designed or adapted to ensure access and participation by every child in the service and to allow flexible use, and interaction between indoor and outdoor space. Ref: http://www.acecqa.gov.au/Physical-envir ... CdPAs.dpuf

As part of the NQS it's a necessity to have a free flowing indoor and outdoor program however with the younger ones it does get a little difficult as you have been experiencing.

So, a way to overcome this is to create outdoor areas similar to those indoors so the children can utilize both environments without missing out on the experiences you have pre planned. Meaning, create mini spaces outside for the children such as home corner, block area, puzzles, art and craft etc. and with these areas you can continue the experiences from inside to outside and just change the experiences based upon indoor and outdoor setting. For example: in home corner indoor you could set up a restaurant and to compliment it outdoor you could set up a kitchen and incorporate sand and water into it...

For inside you could also set up experiences based on a topic of interest or a theme and plan your experiences around this. You don't need to do this all the time just when a group interest emerges. You can also have specific indoor and outdoor activities that the children can participate of their choice. For example: cooking experiences indoors, science experiments outdoors, sensory play outdoors, dress up indoors just to divide the children up based on what they're preferences. At times the children will most likely spend more time out than in and in that case just let it be. If because of ratio you need to divide the children just say something like "who is going to come help me make a collage" etc. and get some children to come inside with you. Don't worry bout it too much... they're are only little! :giggle:

Hopefully my suggestions help,

:geek:,
L.A