Clarification about teaching children sight words

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
HelenJH

Clarification about teaching children sight words

Post by HelenJH » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:01 am

Hi,
I've just started at an ldc as their kinder teacher and the room leader (diploma) has and still is getting the children to go through sight words. I thought this wasn't done till primary school. Could some one clarify. I thought by the end of the year if they can write their own name, and maybe count to 10 and develop skills with holding a pencil and cutting with a pair of scissors is good, but children need choice and worried by pressuring them will be detrimental to their present and future learning. Can anyone advise, thanks!!!
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Childcare Programming forum

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Clarification about teaching children sight words

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:21 pm

What do your kindergarten guidelines say?
Personally if children are ready for it I cannot see how it can harm them.
You are the Kindy teacher so the room leader should be getting instruction from you. If you do not think she is doing right by the children you will have to speak to her about it

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:19 pm

In my opinion, within an LDC is isn't necessary to teach children sight words. You're right... They would typically learn this at school. An LDC is not school and I feel that sometimes educators do a little more teaching than required when it comes to working in an early childhood setting. However, if a parent requested or you noticed a child beginning to show an interest in reading or using sight words well then you can extend upon it as part of a child's interest or parent input...however I don't feel it is right to make all children sit down during group time to recognize sight words at this stage...

A school readiness program should include the following:

Having regular “lunch box days” so children can practice opening and closing their lunch box and eating their own lunch.
Encourage children to participate in group games and experiences.
Supporting each child to develop friendships and co-operate with peers.
Talk positively with children about starting school.
Encourage children's independence in all self help skills.
Discuss school visits and orientation event with children before and after they occur.
Help children to use crayons. pencils, textas, glue and scissors unassisted.
Read with children regularly.
Invite guests to talk to parents about school readiness and the transition to school.
Arrange visits to local schools so children can experience a school environment and school activities.

For more information on a school readiness program you can read the article available in Resources, Childcare Professionals called School Readiness Program

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

HelenJH

Post by HelenJH » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Thank you for your advice and the school readiness resource. Talked to the employer who said don't do sight words and also don't do flashcards. Good idea about informing parents / caregivers about the school transition etc and contacting local schools. Thanks again. Helen