Taking Breaks In The Centre

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
aljc

Taking Breaks In The Centre

Post by aljc » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:37 am

What breaks is a casual assistant educator entitled to? How long do I have to be working before I can go on a 10 minute break? Why is it also difficult to be excused to go to the toilet? I work in SA.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: breaks

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Read the award you come under it should state very clearly what breaks you are entitled to.
Usually you cannot work more than 5 hours without a 10-15 min break and not more than 6 without a 1/2hr break.

Usually most centres will do it so the 1st person in has the 1st break, 2nd in 2nd break etc, unless they have multiple cover staff in which case 2 people can take breaks at the same time.
If you cover your own breaks then it is a matter of being sensible, if you just got in you probably shouldn't need a break, usually 1st breaks would be about 1.5 - 2 hours after getting in.

As for bathroom breaks, well we went when we needed to - when you gotta go, you gotta go!!!! Again common sense if the room was mayhem or there was only you in the room you held on until someone could come in to relieve you to go.

Lorina

Re: Taking Breaks In The Centre

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:33 am

According to the regulations:

If you're working 38 hours per week, 7.6 hours per day, you’re entitled to:

1 unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes and no more than 1 hour
2 paid rest breaks of at least 10 minutes

If you work less than 7 hours per day, you’re entitled to:

1 unpaid meal break of at least 30 minutes and no more than 1 hour
1 paid rest break of at least 10 minutes

When taking your "break" it really depends on the ratio within the room and when you are able to go on it. At centres I have worked with it either can be in the morning or afternoon...

Also, like FeFe said if you need to go then you should go. I hate winter as we were always wanting to go to the toilet...LOL... :giggle: Seriously we are adults working together, you shouldn't have to be made to hold it unless it's necessary.

:geek:,
Lorina