Stress in the 3-5 room

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Almira

Stress in the 3-5 room

Post by Almira » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi, I have been working in the 3-5 room for a year and a half now, and I am currently stressed out because of several issues in the room. I have a Diploma qualification but when I applied for this job, I was fresh out of college and took the Cert III position to gain experience. The issues I am having started after the ECT Room Leader left to go on maternity leave. These include:

1. Laundry Schedule - The laundry is next to the Preschool Room and the current room leader made it a schedule for everyone in the room to do laundry. However, when the early shift people leave it is left to the rest of the staff to do it. This isn't so much a problem BUT I am almost always the one that does it because no-one else checks it. Yes, I have asked others in the room to help. No, they don't be proactive. I have asked twice already if this task can be shared with the 2-3 room staff but am shot down because of afternoon nappy changes

2. Afternoon Toileting - The most recent issue is this: because my room has 3 ECT's (1 FT, 2 PT) the room leader (Diploma) discussed with the 2-3 Room Leader and Director that I should do the bulk of the Afternoon toileting leaving the ECTs free to do group time with the children. Previously, the ECT would do the afternoon toileting 2x a week, while I did 3x. I raised the issue that this was not fair due to 2 other staff (ECT and Diploma) available to assist with toileting. I strongly believe that this should be a shared duty and not placed solely on me, who is just a Cert III. I also raised this with the Director and her words were, and I quote, "I would prefer an ECT to do group time than nappy changing".

3. Rude and Condescending Attitude - My room leader, I somehow believe, has let power go to her head. She has been using a very direct and condescending tone of voice towards me and when I raised this as an issue to my Director, she dismissed this as and I quote "But that's her role as a team leader". She also micromanages everything, making schedules for every little thing e.g laundry, watering the plants, etc.

4. Unsupported and valued - I do not feel valued and nor do I feel supported. Both last year and this year have been extremely difficult for me physically, emotionally and mentally. The Room Leader knows this as does the Director. And yet, my concerns are automatically dismissed. I am not alone in this predicament. 3 other staff members have confided in me that the Director displays nepotism and dismisses concerns such as Health or Staff conflict because her 'favourites' are in trouble. 1 staff member recently quit 3 months ago due to toxic work environment, 1 staff member was ignored over her concerns of a conflict with another staff member, and 1 other staff member is always sidelined and shuffled around without taking her physical and emotional health into account.

Bottomline, I want to leave this job. It is not longer enjoyable (although the kids give me job satisfaction), it has become toxic and I am constantly stabbed in the back. My predicament is that because of the lockdowns, I do not know whether I should quit now and go on benefits, apply for a job - accept - then quit, or just wait until restrictions lift. I would rather not do Option 3 but I am so desperately unhappy.

Lorina

Re: Stress in the 3-5 room

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:15 am

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through such a tough time. The issues that you are facing are unfortunately common in the work environment, including favouritism of staff, having assistant do all the nappies as well as the cleaning while the lead educators do "group time". It's so ridiculous because all Educators should be pulling their weight and not just rely on assistants to do it all.

1. In regards to the Laundry Schedule, if it has all the other Educators names on it just leave it for whoever is supposed to do it. If you are going to be doing it all the time, other Educators are taking advantage of you by not bothering because they know you're going to do it anyway. So, leave it for whoever's turn it is that day. It's their responsibility. You could mention something like "Julia, I saw your name on the laundry schedule for today just a heads up that you don't forget".

2. For toileting, if the Director wants the ECT to do group time what about the Diploma? Can't they help you with nappies during that time? Or can't group time be moved to an earlier/later time in the afternoon so the nappies can be shared?

3. Its not the role of a group leader to be rude and condescending that is a ridiculous excuse!

4. When the Director has favorites then it's extremely difficult to get YOUR issues addressed when they are involved. However, if you are part of their issue you will be called out. It seems to me that the close relationship between the director and these Educators are causing a serious issue for the rest of the staff and issues are not going to be resolved as you have tried.

There is no point being unhappy at work its too stressful and the stress it's causing you is not worth it. I would recommend that you look for a job once you accept it then give your notice. Until then just try and get through each day - don't focus on the negativity just go do your job and leave - ignore the snide remarks, the rude condescending tones... just ignore it - so not worth your time and energy!

:geek:,
Lorina