Small Business Management- would this be helpful?

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Small Business Management- would this be helpful?

Post by dulciean » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:20 am

Hello ! I have been reading through some of my old posts and having a giggle- it seems I have been weighing the pros and cons of further study quite publicly and asking the same questions over and over.... Thanks every one who has responded and been so patient with me!
Ok- I am finally Diploma Qualified- yay!! Now I've got to thinking of looking for a 2IC position and then gaining experience to get myself into a Directors role... However, I am thinking it might be useful to enrol in a small business management course to round out my skills- after all Directors have to know all the technical side of running a business.
What do people think? Would it put me in good stead when applying for a Director role?

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Small Business Management- would this be helpful?

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:19 pm

I think it would be beneficial to do an ECT degree rather than a small business course. If you were buying a centre to run and own fair enough but just for a director, it may be a waste IMO.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:12 am

I agree with Nat. You would have a better shot at getting a directors position with a ECT degree. You can still get it with a diploma but now that ECT's are being sought after, I reckon they would most likely get the directors position. If an employer had to choose between a diploma or an ECT running the centre who'd do you think they'd pick... Even if you have no experience as a director, you will mostly be trained up on it and it's not that hard to specifically go and do a business course for it. There are some real dummies running centres! :giggle:

I know how much you want to be a director and you will get it soon enough!

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi thanks for the input!
I think you're probably right
Looks like the ECT degree wins every time :thumbup:

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:24 pm

Yep. ECT does win. A few years back doing an adv. diploma or other business management courses would have made sense but now ECT seems to be more preferred over the rest.

Congratulations on completing your diploma! It's a good feeling isint it! Good on you.... :)

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi thanks for the congratulations
I owe my training provider $200 so I don't have my Diploma in my hands yet
Probably why it still doesn't feel real lol !

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:48 pm

I may do the small business management once I've got my bachelor of teaching but only as my long term plan is to own & manage my own centre