Room Ratio During Staff Lunch Breaks

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
isay619

Room Ratio During Staff Lunch Breaks

Post by isay619 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:45 am

Is it in the regulation that during staff lunch breaks, a child who is old enough to go to an older age group can be counted in that room even without physically transferring the child to the said room?

E. g. during staff lunch break the 2-3 yo room has 6 children. One of the children is 3yo but has been placed in the 2-3yo due to behavioural reasons. One staff remains in the room for the next 2 hours but it doesn't breach any regulation since the 3yo child can still be counted in the 3-5yo group even if she is staying in the 2-3yo room for the entire day.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sue_70

Re: room ratio during staff lunch break

Post by Sue_70 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:43 am

Hi
I've always been told that any older children in the room, are counted down into the ratio which is based on the youngest child there. If the room has a 1 year old, than all other children are counted in the same ratio of 1:5, no matter how old they are.

Lorina

Re: Room Ratio During Staff Lunch Breaks

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:30 pm

This is from the Regulations and Law. It explains about mixed age ratio:

[attachment=0]mixed_ratio.jpg[/attachment]

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDathie

Post by EDathie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

At my work place during when the children are sleeping our management encouraging to do our own breaks of 30 mins. also one of the carer in my room meant to have her own breaks morning 10 mins, lunch 30 mins and evening 10 mins. at most of this time we are tight with the children numbers and i feel we are under ratio when the carer leave the room even though at the time when children are a sleep. Management should provide the relief staff or is it all right to do own breaks ? i am confuse.

Wunniebee

Post by Wunniebee » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Legally the ratios have to be met at all times (for safety reasons. like if there was a fire or such)
Personally I don't see anything wrong with a lower ratio when the children are sleeping because most of the time you are sitting around waiting haha.
But you should mention something because if the department saw that they wont be happy cause ratios are theyre for a reason. If you have casuals they should be covering breaks for that period.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:21 pm

Here is some information regarding staffing during breaks:
The Nominated Supervisor and / or responsible person must ensure that children are being adequately supervised at all times. Maintaining educator – to – child ratios does not determine alone what adequate supervision is. Adequate supervision means that an educator is able to respond immediately, including when a child is in distress or danger, without compromising supervision of other children.

Ref: Regulations Q&A

So, basically it doesn't actually say that an educator needs to be replaced during break time as long as the educator is able to respond immediately to a child.

At centres I have worked at previously staff covering breaks were different... At one centre we all took shifts during our breaks and we all covered each other in the rooms, even though the children were sleeping. So there would be always 2 staff in each room during breaks. Then at other centres we would take our breaks in the room so we would be present to respond to the children when necessary.

I guess it depends on the centre...

:geek:,
Lorina