Problem Parent and im new to FDC

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
alicia81

Problem Parent and im new to FDC

Post by alicia81 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi All
Would like to pick your brains. I have been doing FDC for just over 3 months and loving it, i started off with alternate care children and have progressed to having my own permanent children. I have had rave reviews from all parents and coordinators and believe my service to be of a high standard although i still have a huge amount to learn.
Anyway i have a problem: i have been informed by a reliable source that one of my fdc parents has been bad mouthing my service at work. This parent brings toys for all of my children to play with and will turn up with a coffee for me and is very friendly and open. I am very confused as i have heard from a couple of people now that this person has said my space is unclean, has said my husband screams at the children and at me and had said i sleep on the job. All of these things said are completely untrue. Her child is very happy and had so much fun and learning every day i can not imagine what the problem would be.

Where do i go from here ... what do i do?? Thank you in advance for your help :)

Lorina

Re: Problem Parent and im new to FDC

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 am

Hmmmm... I wonder why she is bad mouthing you behind your back and she acts so sweet and nice in front of you... that's a worry especially if your FDC is doing so well...

How comfortable do you feel about confronting her about this situation? Would you be able to have a private chat with her, asking her if she is happy with your service or if she has any concerns she wishes to share with you?

Let me know,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:07 pm

Weird that this person would be saying the things she is and still leaving her child in your care. Doubt people will believe it as if a parent is THAT concerned about what happens at their child's daycare/FDC etc they would remove them asap

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:02 pm

I am not in FDC, but I am assuming there is some sort of co-ordinating body for your area. Maybe ask them for guidance?
Hope you get it all worked out. Can be demoralizing when someone is bad mouthing you but is seemingly happy with your service?!
Cathiek

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:20 am

Hi alicia81,

I can speak with experience on this one as I've had t happen in my FDC service.

Firstly be aware that this is how some families are. You can not be 'friends' with all the parents. Some people just are not going to be happy no matter what you do.
Do you feel strong enough to speak to the parent?
(Hi (parents name) It has come to my attention that you may not be happy here? Is there anything I can do to help you be happier with the relationship we have? etc etc)
If you don't feel strong enough to do that then do a newsletter for all your families.
Mentioning the grievance policy of your scheme and that your door is always open for all families to discuss care issues. Suggest they could email, text or phone you if they don't have time at drop off and pickup. Or have a daily book out and have a section where parents can ask you to call them.
Definitely speak with your Coordination Unit and get their support. That is what they are there for. Being a new Educator is NOT easy and it can take in excess of 12 months for you to really find your feet.

Remember you offer an amazing service in a home like environment. Be proud and don't let 1 or 2 people put you off. We cant please all the people all of the time!!

I am happy to offer you any FDC support you need.

Good luck and let us know how you go!