Kindy Teacher replacement issues

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Kindy Teacher replacement issues

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm

If the ECT is absent does another ECT have to replace that person or can a GL step in? Sometimes it is very hard to find replacement Kindy Teachers at short notice!

Unsure of the regs on this one

law92
Helper
Helper

Re: Kindy Teacher replacement issues

Post by law92 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

hi fefe

Have a look at this website:

http://www.acecqa.gov.au/early-childhoo ... ifications

If you run a government approved kindergarten program at your centre, I'm pretty sure you would need an actual kindergarten teacher to replace the one you have working at the moment. If you don't have a kindy teacher delivering the program you might get your funding cut?? I'm not sure but I have an idea it's something like that.

According to the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority, if you have 25-59 children in attendance at your centre on any given day, and you operate for 50 hours or more a week, an early childhood teacher must be in attendance at the service for six hours on the given day. - See more at: http://www.acecqa.gov.au/early-childhoo ... C7wQG.dpuf

If you have 60-80 children in attendance on any given day, and operates for more than 50 hours a week, an ect must be in attendance for 6 hours per day. If you operate for less than 50 hours per week, an ect must be in attendance for 60% of your operating hours.

It does say on the website that these regulations will be in effect from 1 Jan 2014 so not sure if they are applicable now? maybe you could ring them up and check??

I hope this helps!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 am

I'm pretty sure that law92 is right. If you have an ECT away from your service then you will need to replace them with someone else with the same qualification in order to make all qualified persons accounted for at your service. So, let's say you have a diploma trained away, you will need to hire a diploma qualified casual, same goes for ECT. If you're having trouble finding one, try and get together a list of relief workers with different qualifications that are available on certain days. Maybe put a job advertisement out or maybe try an agency. If you find one get their details, maybe you can deal with them directly...

Can't you step in as a replacement for the day since you are working towards an EC degree?

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:50 am

I cannot step in as I am not a qualified teacher under the current laws! However had the DETE QKFS people come to our service and they said if you really cannot find an ECT you have a leeway of 10-11 days where you can have a Diploma trained person step in.
So that is ok.
I believe from 2014 anyone who has completed more than 50% of their teaching degree and will complete it before 2016 can be employed as an ECT