I need some advice: Unqualified Room Leader as Nominated Supervisor

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
moosemash

I need some advice: Unqualified Room Leader as Nominated Supervisor

Post by moosemash » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi guys,

I've been working at my centre for nearly three years, I am currently completing my Diploma.
Recently our Nominated Supervisor has left for maternity leave, and we are currently without any supervisors whatsoever (yes, I know this a breach of regulations) - my position at the centre is 'unqualified room leader'.

My problem is, since out NS has left, the director and manager has dumped all of her roles and work onto me (EVERYTHING).
They didn't ask me if I wanted all these roles, at first I was okay with it, but now I've just become so stressed so much hair is falling out than usual (and believe it or not, both my director and manager know s**t all about anything), I was going to speak to them about a raise, but the director has approached me first and offered a $50 bonus fortnightly for doing all the roles.
She only approached me on Thursday, I accepted it, but now I don't know if I'm comfortable with doing this.

Can anyone give me some advice on what to do?
What do I do??
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: I need some advice

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:22 pm

I am pretty sure (I could be wrong) but if you are doing roles other than your own i.e. stepping up from assistant to GL or GL to Director for X amount of time you have to be paid the correct wage for it.

I know at one centre I worked this is how it was as occasionally one assistant stepped up to GL and she was paid a higher wage for it as it was over X amount of hours

I am sure someone else will know better .... however $50 bonus / fortnight is a joke .... I would be asking for a Directors wage if you are doing the duties in fact if you are doing her duties + teaching you should get more ....if you do not want the extra duties then just say you have had time to think about it and you do not want to do it.
They cannot force you to do something you do not want to.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Fefe76 is spot on this shouldn't be happening. Are you certificate III qualified? I hate to harp on but this is why I joined the union- seems we have no protection or recourse when we are exploited otherwise. There are policies and awards in place in Australia- supposedly a first world country!- to protect you from being used this way, you need to speak up for your own sake- it's just not acceptable. :?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:10 pm

I was recently reading through the Modern Award, for another user question... I came across "Higher Duties" and I remembered your question. I'm adding what it says below:
Higher duties

18.1 An employee engaged in duties carrying a higher rate that their ordinary classification for two or more consecutive hours within any shift or day will be paid for the time so worked at the higher rate provided that:

(a) the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate;

(b) an employee engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 5 (Assistant Director) who is required to undertake the duties of a Director by reason of the Director’s absence will not be entitled to payment under this clause unless the Director’s absence exceeds two complete consecutive working days;

(c) an employee engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 3 who is required to undertake duties of the Director by reason of the Director’s non-attendance outside of core hours will not be entitled to payment under this clause;

(d) where an employee is appointed to act as the Director of a Centre or a Supervising Officer pursuant to the relevant childcare regulations, they will be paid for the entire period at the rate applicable for a Director or Supervising Officer; or

(e) an employee who is required to undertake the duties of another employee by reason of the latter employee’s absence for the purpose of attending (with pay) an approved training course (including in-service training) will not be entitled to payment under this clause.

18.2 For the purposes of this clause, the duties of an employee will be determined by reference to this award and the employee’s job description.

So, from the information given above and your current situation, you should be paid more since you are completing higher duties. If they have already offered you $50 bonus then they realize you are doing more than necessary! If I was you, I'd go through the Modern Award find out how much you extra your supposed to be getting paid and then go and speak to your director about it with this information (that's if you are still keen to take on the role).

:geek:,
L.A

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I need some advice: Unqualified Room Leader as Nominated Supervisor

Post by Kaz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:59 am

Yes you should be getting more, I was in a semi. boat not long ago and I was happy to do it as I thought sweet I am getting experence, but then it was over load and I was doing all the jobs plus more, so I asked for the right amount. At first it was a fight but I stopped taking on so much too, I came to agreement with the boss which made us both happy and my work load was dropped as well. You need to talk to your boss and get the right pay but MOST IMPORTANT do not stress yourself out over what you can handle it isn't good for your health