I'm not very lucky with centres :(

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Misse84
Helper
Helper

I'm not very lucky with centres :(

Post by Misse84 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 pm

I just started a job at a big centre, working with preschoolers. I used to work at a small and private one, which I left because the conditions were bad.

I thought my new one would be better, and condition wise it is. But my first week was horrible. All the staff, apart from the teachers and some educators are nice. But I just kind of got thrown in there, and the children are horribly behaved.

They told me that they have had many staff leave, and all for " family reasons" red flag there. I never experienced children like this, they never listen and just go wild. I was alone with five of them at sleep time and they just won't listen and throw tantrums. I thought it might be because I am new, but in my last centre they never acted like this toward new staff.

Apparently they were worse last year,with them even throwing blocks at staff. The rooms are bare with no paintings and they don't do music and my ECT leaves me alone a lot and I feel overwhelmed. I got snapped at the other day because of a small thing, and came home and cried. I dread going back there, and wish I never left my old job. I don't know what to do.

Lorina

Re: I'm not very lucky with centres :(

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 am

Seems like you're a little overwhelmed but it's OK because it's only your first week and you have to give it a chance...

You will find at some centres children do misbehave and test the limits of new teachers. Not all children but I've worked in rooms where it has happened to me. You got to set the boundaries from the start so the children understand that you're in charge. Maybe you can come up with some guidelines that you can encourage the children to use. Using colour guidelines works well and keeps it simple. Instead of coming up with these rules yourself get the children involved. Say something like "you are all going to big school next year and we need to practice how to care for the room and each other" then ask if children have any ideas or better yet you start off by saying "blue rule - we keep our hands to ourselves", take a photo of the children doing this, add the rule, add onto specific colour and hang it up where children can see. You can just do 5 because any more than that gets confusing.

Most children misbehave because they are bored. Find something or an new experience you can do with the children. Use play dough, set up a sensory area, put on some calming music and do stretches, do an aerobics class with them to release energy etc. Anything new you bring will be a welcome change to them.

Start hanging stuff up on the walls in the room as well. Start off with children paintings, photos, posters, anything to make it feel more child friendly. More ideas here: Room Ideas - Wall Displays and Areas

Since you are left alone a lot I would start implementing your own ideas into the room... It's not about you taking over more like you putting the interests and safety of the children in your room and creating a safe environment by getting them involved.

BTW - you would rather work at a centre with nice staff and horrible kids (because children's behaviour can always be changed!). Don't regret your decision, it will settle after a few weeks, it's only the first week...

Give it a chance and see how you go,

Keep me updated,

:geek:,
L.A

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks L.A

I took two days off work sick, because I just had such bad anxiety. It just got worse when the supervisor snapped at me when the kids took apart the obstacle course. No one really talks to me and I feel so alone.

Apparently the big kids are leaving soon, and the director said that will make it easier. I miss doing things for the children, and they don't even play music there and I love music. I might suggest getting a CD player and doing some dancing with the children.

I will give it a while, and will keep applying for jobs. I have a big trip planned in February 2015 so can't afford to be without a job. Sorry for the rant :( I jus thought things would be better there. Now I'm worried I'll be in trouble for being off work, despite having a doctors certificate.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I was reading Lorina's reply some good ideas.

I wouldn't worry about having 2 days off with Med certificate, if your director has an attitude just say 'well it is good I'm doing better now' and leave it at that!
Just some thoughts.......
I get the overwhelming feeling, especially if your ECT is not around, she should be leading and controlling the room, if she has had these kids all year she should have things in place ....but are these kids going to Kindergarten? If so they are probably ready for a new stage of learning, they have outgrown the preschool curriculum. Is your ECT approachable? You could suggest to have a time of reflection regarding the room-bring some ideas with you and solutions with what is going on, even if she is not interested it shows that you are proactive- come up with solutions together. With some of these kids leaving, a new year, new preschoolers so you guys should be able to work together to produce a great room and program. If I was an ECT I would work with my assistant in doing this, behavioural issues are exhausting and you need team work. I have dealt with exhausting behaviour issues in OOSH.

Think beyond childcare to socio-economic of the families in the centre and your room? What are the parents attitudes, backgrounds, focus or non focus on education or what they expect in childcare. Become intuitive about relationships between children and parents. Children will always reflect the home environment and any dysfunction in the home.

The framework is about what the child is interested in find something to catch their attention with you, fun new and stimulating -Lorina has already said boredom. Run it by your ECT, think outside the box...... for the children to be acting like this what is missing??
I know it is hard but take it on as a challenge and learning curve, think of all the skills you can obtain from this frustrating situation. Go in with good attitude and confidence. Believe that you are going in with answers for these children....Preschoolers should be fun!

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:06 pm

PS I was just reading a topic on behaviour and something stood out on a comment from someone. You said the ECT leaves you alone a lot and I guess you have replaced another assistant? So I'm thinking what is the relationships between the ECT and kids-obviously last assistant? This could be a big answer for you, because the child educator relationship is everything. Spend a couple of weeks observing your ECT with children. Find out her philosophy, values, how she approaches the framework and her personal interest in preschool kids etc.
Looking forward to hearing back on how you are going
leenie

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:15 pm

If all else fails put on some music and DANCE! Musical chairs and musical bops works well too!!