Feeling ignored

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Amy97

Feeling ignored

Post by Amy97 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:04 am

Hi, I’ve recently moved to the 0-2 room in my centre at the beginning of this year.
It’s been a slow start, and so we only have 4 babies daily, which means that, ratio wise, I’m fine to be in the room alone.
However, I’m finding it extremely difficult to manage 4 crying babies all by myself.
I can’t get any of them to sleep, because I can only manage a couple at a time, and the others crying keeps them all awake anyway. Same goes for feeding time and experiences.
I just don’t have enough hands, but so far asking the director to send me some help hasn’t given any results.
I’m really at my wits end, and I’m not sure what to do. Any tips of managing a room, alone?

Lorina

Re: Feeling ignored

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:03 pm

Why they are putting you on the babies room alone? Stuff ratio! Hard enough looking after one baby alone let alone 4! Bloody ridiculous!

You have to let the director know that you do need help! When babies are all crying call her into the room and show her that it's hard to settle them by yourself and if she can help you.

Go through the routine and pick times that you really struggle such as sleep times and during meals a d tell the Director that during these times at least you need another Educator on hand.. then during play time etc you can manage...

I'd be fed up as well!

:geek:,
Lorina

Amy97

Post by Amy97 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Thank you so much for your reply!
Unfortunately, the director knows and has seen how much I am struggling, but she’s going on maternity leave soon and, in her words, “can’t be bothered to get more staff” to help me out.
I feel like it’s unsafe practices to have me there by myself, and it’s such a relief to talk to someone who understands!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:50 pm

Yeah it's definitely unsafe.. I mean you only got so many hands and eyes and you definitely can't be everywhere at once..

So when she goes on maternity leave can her replacement possibly help out. It's not necessarily about "getting more staff" as such instead use the staff you already got to step in when you need an extra set of hands.

Do the Directors work on the floor or in the office full time? Because they can also step in when needed...

:geek:,
Lorina

Amy97

Post by Amy97 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:07 pm

I think the blame at the moment is ‘understaffing’ as to give me an extra pair of hands, would mean not having the right ratio in another room. We don’t have any spare, casual or cover staff of a day, and usually the director only steps in to cover people’s lunch breaks.

The rest of the time she says she’s ‘too busy’ answering the phones and emails, or she’ll say that she’ll come and help me out, but then never actually arrive. The room that I’m in is very cut off and kind of at the end of a long hallway, not connected to any other room, so I really have to shout if I want help.

To add insult to injury, the person taking over from the director is a current staff member; a room leader in the 2-3 room, and she is expected to keep up her room leading duties in that room, AS WELL AS taking on the director position.

I feel like everything’s going to fall apart as soon as the director leaves

AureaRea

Post by AureaRea » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:27 am

If you are managing a room alone and has already asked a request but seems to be ignored, you should just probably as for someone's help... or better talk to your immediate supervisor and tell that you have a problem with managing the patients. I know it is a difficult job since you have to take care of four crying babies. I think talking personally can also really help a lot. It is not only for your sake but also for the patients and babies. This is to make sure that the patient's safety and your physical and mental health is stable.