FDC grandparent who wants to stay at drop off

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
rsdm05

FDC grandparent who wants to stay at drop off

Post by rsdm05 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Hi there,

I run a FDC and have been having an issue with a grandparent.
Cut a long story short, she is here on 3 month holiday from overseas, She works in the childcare industry back home and really makes sure I know. She stays for half hr or so at pick up to play with her grandchild ( reads books, goes through the alphabet etc) and now she has mentioned she would like to stay a couple of hours the next time she drops her grandchild off..
I don't really know how to approach her about this... The mother of the child mentioned it to me a few weeks back that her mum would love to stay and help for the day and I kind of brushed it off and didn't think she was too serious.
I don't feel comfortable having this lady at my house when I have other children in my care especially as they need naps etc..
What is the best way of approaching this issue without sounding rude?

Lorina

Re: FDC grandparent who wants to stay at drop off

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 am

Maybe you can give her a time to come during the day to stay with the children. Maybe in the afternoon after the children have their naps. I understand that it is your home however it is an opportunity for you to build relationships with this family by allowing grandma to stay. She is just excited that's all and probably wants to see how childcare works over here. I think you should use this as a positive. Get her to come for an hour to do art and craft with the children in the afternoon, or maybe do a story telling session, or organise a group game or some activities...

:geek:,
Lorina

rsdm05

Post by rsdm05 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Lorina,
Thankyou for your response...
Maybe I was looking at it the wrong way, the day she would like to stay is a busy day having 4 babies 7mnths to 10mnths and her grandchild goes down pretty much straight away when she arrives..
Don't get me wrong the family are lovely & I feel I have a good relationship with them .
I think you a right when you say she would like to know how family daycare works here, I just feel a little overwhelmed, I don't want my routine I have going be interrupted otherwise we will have some very grumpy tired babies.
I will suggest she come in the afternoon to spend some time...
Thankyou

Lorina wrote:Maybe you can give her a time to come during the day to stay with the children. Maybe in the afternoon after the children have their naps. I understand that it is your home however it is an opportunity for you to build relationships with this family by allowing grandma to stay. She is just excited that's all and probably wants to see how childcare works over here. I think you should use this as a positive. Get her to come for an hour to do art and craft with the children in the afternoon, or maybe do a story telling session, or organise a group game or some activities...

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Yes, I totally understand. It can be a little chaotic when you have someone hanging over your head when you're just trying to do your job. That's why if you give her a specific time when she can come in, it makes it a whole lot easier and you will feel more comfortable as you will have control of the situation and you can plan accordingly. Don't forget to document the visit and it will be great to share with other parents. You could probably gain some insight in how the childcare industry works where she is from... :thumbup:

Lorina