Director tips

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Director tips

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 am

For those of you who are or have been directors of a LDC what advice/tips can you give me? I just got my first Directors position so tad nervous!!

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Director tips

Post by dulciean » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Congratulations on your new position as a Director Fefe- hopefully some good advice will get posted here :thumbup: :clap:

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Director tips

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Congratulations! There have been some good ideas I've seen at some centers that directors have done, which I appreciated!

1) Add staff profile in monthly newsletter. This would include photo of staff and a bit of info about them.

2) Have a weekly fruit bowl/fruit basket for staff to snack on during breaks in the staff room. This expense goes on weekly shopping. Once every couple of weeks we also had a junk food basket! Lilies, cupcakes, chocolates etc.

3) Monthly challenge: Set up a challenge for staff to get involved in. One of the ones I was involved in was putting a recipe book together with different family recipes from the children at the centre. We ended up selling these for fundraising.

4) Order out or cook for staff meetings.

In my opinion, having a good relationship with staff is the most important. Saying thank you, listening to their points of view, dealing with complaints in a very professional and non-biased manner, be confidential with staff complaints, dont be judgemental and listen to the other side of the story, asking for staff ideas and suggestions etc. Happy staff = happy centre.