Cot Regulations For LDC

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Reaf

Cot Regulations For LDC

Post by Reaf » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:18 pm

HI, not sure where to ask this, but I have searched regs etc, I'm looking for specifications on cot regulations - e.g.; emergency vac cot, portacots etc, we are in the process of starting our own small rural Long day care centre and most other things seem to be in regs or building code, but i can't find specific info on this? I'm in SA
Thanks in advance

Lorina

Re: Cot Regulations For LDC

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:01 am

HI There,

Just having a look through the National Quality Standards and Element 2.1.2 states "Each child’s comfort is provided for and there are appropriate opportunities to meet each child’s need for sleep, rest and relaxation". Using this from Quality Area 2 you need to ensure safe sleep practices are being implemented, including cots, other bedding equipment and accessories that meet Australian Standards.

Even though it doesn't necessarily state in the National Regulations on the exact cot regulations you will need to make sure it complies with Australian standards. In your centre's policies and procedures for "sleep and rest policy" you could specify that you are meeting SIDS Safe Sleeping practices which also complies with the Australian standards. You could also detail what you are doing to meet these standards.

This may help:

Sids Safe Sleeping

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Cot Regulations For LDC

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:04 am

Just wanted to also add the following for your reference:

Product Safety Australia - Cots

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina