Cleaning during my workplace

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
lanashakir
Participator
Participator

Cleaning during my workplace

Post by lanashakir » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Hi. Im Student in diploma. Im just starting my work place . I have one question plz. When i start my work place in first day the teacher told me plz go and clean the bathroom and mop the floor and clean the shelf. My qustion is does i have to do cleaning all the time when i do my work place. I know cleaning is part of my job. But they make me feel i am cleaner not studnet

Lorina

Re: Cleaning during my workplace

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:24 am

You're right you are not the cleaner at all! You're there to learn, gain some hands on experience working with the children and to complete your tasks. As you said cleaning is part of the job but there is a limit. Just keep a note on how much cleaning you're doing each day and how much time you get to spend with the children... If you're spending too much time cleaning then you need to tell your teacher... Just see how it goes! I'm sure it will be ok!

:geek:,
Lorina

i*love*pugs

Post by i*love*pugs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Cleaning is the main reason I left childcare centres and kindergartens. I work as a nanny for this very reason!!!!I still remember doing my placement hours and all of the unsavoury jobs were left to the students. When I did start working in childcare, I found the constant cleaning took away from my time actually being with the children. If more than 50% of your time is cleaning, then I would definitely say something. You cannot be learning adequately if you are not on the floor with the children.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:33 pm

i*love*pugs wrote:Cleaning is the main reason I left childcare centres and kindergartens. I work as a nanny for this very reason!!!!I still remember doing my placement hours and all of the unsavoury jobs were left to the students. When I did start working in childcare, I found the constant cleaning took away from my time actually being with the children. If more than 50% of your time is cleaning, then I would definitely say something. You cannot be learning adequately if you are not on the floor with the children.
Yeah, it's sad to see some centres take advantage of the work placement students and educators...

Lorina

i*love*pugs

Post by i*love*pugs » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:34 am

Hi Lorina,
I did my Cert 3 in Melbourne. One of the ladies I studied with was offered a job with a well known chain of childcare centres that has since had a name change (hint, hint). She was still a student, but they had her in charge of rooms!!!! We all pointed out that this was simply not allowed, but she was too scared of losing her job to complain about it. One of us should have said something to our teacher, but she asked us not to.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

i*love*pugs wrote:Hi Lorina,
I did my Cert 3 in Melbourne. One of the ladies I studied with was offered a job with a well known chain of childcare centres that has since had a name change (hint, hint). She was still a student, but they had her in charge of rooms!!!! We all pointed out that this was simply not allowed, but she was too scared of losing her job to complain about it. One of us should have said something to our teacher, but she asked us not to.
It's hard to be put in a situation like that and management usually do all these things to people that won't come forward or speak up. I've seen it myself too. People take advantage of others, it happens to students, young educators and a lot goes on with educators coming from a different country. Not just about overloading work and responsibilities and cleaning but it also includes wages... Disappointing!

Lorina