Child with severe nappy rash

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jaimee86

Child with severe nappy rash

Post by Jaimee86 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:12 am

Arghhhh please help! I have a child who attends my service 4 days a week being Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday. It takes me all week to get his severe nappy rash under control and come Monday when he returns to the service it is severe and bleeding again! This child has been signed into care still with a night time sleep nappy on, with a swimming nappy that is soiled or a nappy that has obviously been left soiled for a lengthy time. I have spoken to his Mum and asked how his nappy area is being treated at home. Mum refuses to take any ownership and is trying to blame the service. I am at my wits end as this poor child is suffering. I have now begun documenting EVERYTHING concerning this issue as i feel there is a chance of neglect. I have informed the Director also. Upon speaking with the child's mother she retaliated and complained to the Director that it was the services cause of the rash and wanted to leave the service. I am heart broken every time I have to try and change this child's nappy and don't know what more I can do?! Sorry if this is long winded but any advice would be appreciated!

Lorina

Re: Child with severe nappy rash

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Yeah, it's good that you have started documenting everything down because you never know... I just hope for the child's sake that the mum is being stubborn and not neglecting the poor child. Anyway, would you be able to hand mum a nappy rash cream that you use at your service and tell her that she needs to apply it when she changes her child's nappy. That way the service is covered by giving mum the actual cream itself and advising her when to use it and if the child still has nappy rash well then, unfortunately, there is something else going on at home. You could also maybe let the Director talk to mum about how leaving the child in a nappy too long could cause infection and harm and that she needs to change it often etc. It's best to leave this up to the Director... Sometimes parents have issues in which educators try to advise them so just let the Director do it...

Hope it gets better!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Child with severe nappy rash

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Also, I just thought of this... when you change the child's nappy you write down the time and your initials in the nappy change record. So, if the mum continues to blame the educators in the room, you have the nappy change record as evidence...anyway... let's hope that this issue doesn't escalate too much!

:geek:,
Lorina