Child with aggressive behaviour

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Asha9292

Child with aggressive behaviour

Post by Asha9292 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:24 pm

Hey everyone
Just started back at work two weeks ago from maternity leave am in the 3-4 age room An there a child who will be 4 in a month who has had some behaviour since they were in 1-2 room.
Each year their behaviour doesn’t seem to be improving this is the first year I have had them in my room An they have been at times challenging but they have been violent towards not only children but staff aswell.
Today I had to take them to another room as they were hitting an spitting at my assistant An wouldn’t stop they smacked hit an spat at myself before another staff took over and helped calm them down before they came back to our room . Even when they returned they were continuing to be disruptive .
Has anyone got any ideas or advice they have done to deal with a child that does this kind of stuff?

Ashley

mly_jn2688@live.com

Re: Child with aggressive behaviour

Post by mly_jn2688@live.com » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:36 pm

That’s exactly the same situation happening in the centre I’m currently working, both in pre-kinders’ and kinder’s rooms. On top of that there’s a child with mental disabilities that needs constant attention and the teacher in that child’s room cannot focus on other children while taking care of him. The teacher once came to me and crack down saying it’s too much stress for her. I’m only a cook there and I don’t know how to help her apart from listening and supporting her. I find it unfair for her that she have to deal with not only aggressive behaviour kids but also mentally disabled child.
How can we help and improve her working condition? Ps: the director is also aware of that situation, still no extra teachers have been put in that room.

Asha9292

Post by Asha9292 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:53 pm

We ended up contacting inclusion support and got them to come out and give us some strategies on how to deal with our child. He responded with optioning for a positive or negative choice With him making the final decision Eg we couldnt get him to wear his jacket on a freezing day outside it was if you put your jacket on you can come outside or you don’t wear your jacket and you stay inside your choice. Allowing him to choose between the two made him feel he was making the decision not us and he most of the time optioned for the more positive outcome. We gave him a lot of praise for good behaviour and tried ignoring or not acknowledging the negative behaviour and addressing all the children in the area he was playing in so if he was throwing cars or smashing theM we would say things like well done everyone who’s driving the cars around the mat nicely I like that you are playing with them gently . Hearing that he also waA more likely to follow and do the same. Now due to covid all our work With him has gone out the window and his gotten worse then before . One minute his playing nice and then out of no where starts throwing screaming calling everyone names he throws things at staff and children if we’re outside he throws rocks around his started hitting kicking slapping staff regardless of how we approach him or leave him he doesn’t calm down he starts flipping tables chairs throwing toys around things at the windows climbing furniture . Last two weeks my co worker and myself have been physically hurt due to his behaviour. My director says to leave him let him go walk away if I need to but doing so doesn’t help. It’s not just us as educators who are getting hurt but the children are being exposed to the behaviour he is exhibiting and displaying . Our statehies we used are no longer working and I’m not sure how to deal with the behaviour. I’m worried that due to his outburst either staff or a child could be seriously hurt (his 4.5 nearly) his abusive to his mum have witness multiple occasion him slapping hitting screaming at his mum. Has anyone got any ideas of how we can help or strategies.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:32 am

There is a cause of why the child is continuing to have outbursts. Have you observed him to find out why this aggression may happen? When does the aggression usually take place? Does it happen during activites? During transitions? When sharing toys? Once you find out the casue of the bahviour then you can try and eliminate it.

I would also suggest you have a calm down area or create a calm down box. When the child is getting aggressive or begins to act out redirect him to the calm down area until he clams down to rejoin the group. Once the child has regained control then you can discuss the issue...

Here are some ideas for the calm down box: Calm Down Box

The child needs to be removed from areas when he becomes aggressive since he is hurting others. It is obvious that he cannot control his emotions and seems to lose self control. That's why a calm down area/box will help him to regain control again.

Continue with what you are doing... be consistent... I understand that it is extremely difficult to mahage but it's also difficult for the child as well.

Have you tried a star chart? Or a stamp chart? Something tangible that this child can look forward too when he shows good behaviour?

:geek:,
Lorina