casual workers sent home before agreed shift

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
milena

casual workers sent home before agreed shift

Post by milena » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi all

I am a casual worker in a child care centre.
Lately, the management has been sending casuals home due to being 'in ratio' and not in need of casual staff.
Last week, a casual was called early in the morning to come to work from 9:30 to 5pm. She started work at 9:30am and was told to go home at 10am. Is that fair? Can they really do it? Management says it happens all the time in several child care centres... is it true?
Some of my casual colleagues work for agencies and are on call for other jobs. Sometimes they refuse a shift with the agency to come to work for this centre and end up working only a few hours. How can we solve this matter?

Once I was sick and not feeling well in the morning and told them I would not be able to come to work, I knew they had enough staff on the day and that I would probably not be needed. The management was very cross and told me I have to come to work until the shift can be covered by someone else and any leave or absence has to be reported with at least 2 weeks notice.

How can I solve this issue without staining my relationship with the management? Should I pursue the matter as it hasn't really affected me so far?

Regards,
Milena

Lorina

Re: casual workers sent home before agreed shift

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi Milena,

According to FairWork Australia, you need to work or be paid a minimum of 2 hours. Even if you get sent home early you should be paid a minimum of 2 hours... I will find the information from Fair Work for you.

:geek:,
Lorina