becoming pre kinder room leader

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Beck-scott

becoming pre kinder room leader

Post by Beck-scott » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 am

Hi,
Have just found out that next year I am going to be the room leader of the pre kinder room. I have never worked with this age group as I am currently room leader in the toddlers and have always worked there. I am after any ideas or tips on how to run a pre kinder room.
The group of children that are coming through are a real handful to the point that their current room leader is pulling her hair out and does not know what to do. Not sure if its just end of year nusience that they are causing or if they are going to be like it next year. The biggest thing is that they don't listen!!!
I am really nervous about next year so anything for other prekinder educators would be great

Lorina

Re: becoming pre kinder room leader

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 am

Hi Becky,

Congratulations! I know it seems like a nervous task at hand but hey it’s good to take on a challenge for the year… LOL… I’m pretty sure that the children are mucking around because most likely it’s nearing to the end of the year and like you all they are probably have had enough…same room, same teacher, same environment, same routine, for a year can be a little overbearing after 12 months or so. So, I’m sure when they enter your loving care at the beginning of the New Year they will be fresh and ready to start, attentive and excited…

I think it’s important to set up the room environment, change it up a little to what they are used to. This will keep them focused and interested in the activities on offer. When setting up the room use different levels, meaning tables and floors can be used for activities. Also, not sure how the room set up is at the moment but it’s great to divide the room into different areas. Be creative, add posters to book area (such as picture nursery rhymes), add photos of buildings and bridges in block area, add name tags in writing area along with alphabet chart, in home corner when setting up a theme add pictures that correspond… I guess all I’m trying to say is make it interesting…

Posters & Charts - Printables

Childcare Room Setup

It’s also vital that you setup room limitations and expectations from the beginning. Let the group know that you are in charge… Talk to them about room limits, what you expect from them. Maybe you can come up with some guidelines with the group that you can display around the room. One of the ways to do this is during a group discussion come up with “5 rules”. Each rule can be a specific colour. Red: we listen to each other – Blue: we pack away when we finished playing etc. You could also add photos to the guidelines, of children in the room doing each of the rules you have all come up with.

I think that you will find it a lot easier to handle this group of children than the toddlers. I mean if you can handle a group of toddlers (which I believe is the most difficult age group) than next year is probably going to be a piece of cake. Don’t worry, after a few weeks I’m sure you will get into the swing of things!

Don’t forget we are always here to support and guide you if you are ever feeling lost!

:geek:,
L.A