Are assistant Cert III's not allowed to put out new equipment?

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbie
Participator
Participator

Are assistant Cert III's not allowed to put out new equipment?

Post by Barbie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Today i opened the centre and was the first there out of anyone in my room. The room leader was also not there today. After clearing the breakfast table the boring old box of blocks that had been there 2 weeks was not attracting any interest so i put some wooden puzzles from the cupboard out instead. The children who were getting very bored loved it but then i noticed the 3 younger assistants in the room gathering in the corner looking concerned then one barked at me that i cant just pull stuff out of the cupboard as it is not in the programming. Is this correct? Because earlier in our staff meeting the director was saying how we should take initiative and set up stuff at the picnic tables outside now that we are spending more time out there in the hot weather. Is outside different to inside?

Our centre seems to be so strict on only putting things out if the child has mentioned such an interest but you cant possibly do that with everything right down to blocks and puzzles surely?

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Are assistant Cert III's not allowed to put out new equipment?

Post by dulciean » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Barbie. No to my knowledge the outside and inside programmes are run in the same fashion- learning areas set up and then interests catered for accordingly. I would argue that puzzles would always need to be provided, much like drama/ dress ups, construction, sand pit/ water, quiet reading area , gross motor area etc etc... The EYLF has struck fear into a lot of people because it puts the onus on child led programming but really we have a responsibility to offer activities to children to gauge their interests! Good on you for seeing the children needed stimuli ,they grow bored so quickly and need fresh activities all the time. if I was to add something like puzzles, I would then observe the children's interactions with the activity, document their interest and add it to the program if it appeared they were engaged and interested.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Are assistant Cert III's not allowed to put out new equipment?

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 am

YAY for initiative :clap:
Good on you Barbie you did the right thing.

The EYLF is a guideline only, if we ONLY put out things that children showed an interest in then life would be very hard indeed.... and how can children show and interest in things that they may not have been exposed to unless we put it out to see IF they are interested in it.

Things like puzzles etc should be out anyway and rotated week to week so the children's experiences dont get stuck in a rut.

I have seen the same issues before too, the children having the same stuff on the shelves week after week after week..... result ...rowdy children who were bored and didn't really play or sit just threw stuff off shelves played a few seconds and moved on to do the same to another thing.
Solution ... changed things around, put new things out ... children's curiosity peaked ... interest returned... the focused on things because it was new and they wanted to do it.

Inside or outside, things need to be changed week to week so the children do not get bored.