Amount Of PaperWork & Checks To Fill At Centres

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lems

Amount Of PaperWork & Checks To Fill At Centres

Post by Lems » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:31 pm

My centre seems to have a lot of paperwork to fill out. It seems this is the norm, but I'm wondering how much is of the centre itself, how much is an industry requirement, and how much is associated with DoCS. Is there a way to find out? I had a look on the DoCS website, but couldn't find anything about paperwork in child care. Am also wondering what DoCS requires of centres in terms of the care provided. Do they basically ensure that the regulations are being followed?

Lorina

Re: Amount Of PaperWork & Checks To Fill At Centres

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Yes! It's ridiculous isn't it! I agree with the safety (outdoor and equipment, ratio checks, baby sleep checks) checklists then there are others...

Opening Checklist
Closing Checklist
Playground Safety Checklist
Room Cleaning Checklist
Toy Cleaning Checklist
Food Temperature Checklist
Fridge Temperature Checklist
Kitchen Cleaning Checklist
Hazardous Material Checklist
Fire Drill Safety Checklist
OH&S Compliance Checklist
First Aid Checklist

Like you, I can't really find information from the regulations that state that these checklists have to be completed but I guess that they help remind educators of what needs to be checked and to cover the centre if anything happens or issues arise. For example - if a child does contract gastro from the centre then the director can look at the toy checklist to see when the toys were cleaned last, check the food and fridge template checklist to see if they are normal etc. to identify how the gastro developed...

I think for most of these it's actually the individual centre that decides what checklists needs to be used, in relation to their policies and procedures...

It's a lot of paperwork to get done as well as everything else... never ends... :P

:geek:,
Lorina

Lems

Post by Lems » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:56 pm

So perhaps the only way to know what's of the centre and what's of somewhere else is to see what other centres do? Would certainly be nice to know what's necessary and whether anything could be cut... I do understand how a lot of seemingly unimportant documentation would be useful though. Hopefully it gets easier with time and experience :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:16 am

Seeing what other centres do is a good option...Let me tell you I have worked in many centres over my time and it never gets any less... The checklists are all the same and just as many... It does, get easier especially if you settle into your daily work routine which includes all the checklists. It becomes second nature to you...

I would like to find out though, I will contact ACECQA and see what they say... I'll let you know what information I can gather...

Lorina

i*love*pugs

Post by i*love*pugs » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:17 pm

I find that all the paperwork takes away from important time with the children. One centre I worked at monitored the children as they slept. This may sound reasonable, but they marked down exactly when a child went to sleep and exactly when they woke up. I feel that an estimate would have been good enough. This same centre kept a notepad next to the change table and the exact time of everything had to be marked down. We also had to put detailed descriptions of bowel movements.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:02 pm

i*love*pugs wrote:I find that all the paperwork takes away from important time with the children. One centre I worked at monitored the children as they slept. This may sound reasonable, but they marked down exactly when a child went to sleep and exactly when they woke up. I feel that an estimate would have been good enough. This same centre kept a notepad next to the change table and the exact time of everything had to be marked down. We also had to put detailed descriptions of bowel movements.
You're right, paperwork does take time away from the children but typically it only takes a minute to complete necessary paperwork but the only downfall is you have to remember to do it... As an educator I didn't find the importance of writing down when a child slept or went to the toilet but as a parent I do.. It's helpful to know when your child sleeps (for how long) as this helps to determine when they sleep at night. About the bowel movements it's important to know when your child did a wee or poop. For example if my child hadn't did a poop yet then I know to give extra fibre so they can comfortably go to the toilet or to give more water if they haven't weed enough throughout the day...

Lorina