Age Groupings- Need Help!

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Age Groupings- Need Help!

Post by dulciean » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Evening all! I have a couple of things I'd like to share, and to hear back what you all think. since the start of the year my centre changed its age groupings in the three rooms.
Babies ( goldfish )- 0 to 18 months
Toddlers( seahorses)- 18 months to 30 months
Preschoolers ( dolphins) -30 months to 5 years.

I work in the Dolphins room -which has 24 children with roughly 1/2 of each age group on any given day.
Of course, we also have children with additional needs- ranging from developmental issues, Austism spectrum disorders, and severe trauma/PTSD.
Add to this the enormous differences between a 2.5 year old to a 5 year old . It's HUGE!
I am really struggling with the chaos and mess of each day- we split into separate groups twice a day but otherwise we must just get on with it.
I am looking for ideas for room control that would work across the Groups, and also suitable Group time ideas ( 25 mins about ) that will engage the younger ( wrigglier! ) Group!
Also wondering if anyone else has a grouping this diverse- and what strategies YOU are using?! :roll:

Lorina

Re: Age Groupings- Need Help!

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Dulciean,

I am going to provide you with some links to topics already discussed on this forum about group times, transitions etc. This may give you some ideas on what you could use with your group.

1) http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/t ... s-t50.html

2) http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/t ... 2.html#p78

3) http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/t ... e-t37.html

Also, how many staff work in the room with you?

Do you provide separate experiences for the different age groups in your room?

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:40 pm

hi L.A !
thanks- We can always rely on your trusty response! there are 3 staff in my Room - myself (R.L )
a Diploma , and a ( very talented! ) trainee. We try to provide separate Learning Experiences for the different groups- the younger group are the " Blue Dolphins", the older the " Silver Dolphins" . The younger ones really enjoy and engage when the group is smaller- by the same token they get overwhelmed in the combined group. There just doesn't feel like there is enough opportunity to monitor/supervise separate groups/experiences given the constraints of ratios/ cleaning/a thousand other duties!!!
I had a read through your links- some good ideas and insights there thanks. For future reference- at my next job i will be looking out for more traditional age groupings- i.e 3-5 years!! :roll: :lol:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi Dulciean,

It's great to hear that you try to provide a range of different experiences to suit the ages in your group... I know it can be tough and like you said with everything else you have to do sometimes it can be a little overwhelming! Since you got some older children in your room use this to your advantage by getting them to help out as much as they can... such as setting up tables, helping out the younger ones, setting up beds, helping serve food etc. The older ones will definitely love the responsibility and feeling all grown up... Just an idea I thought I'd mention..

Sounds like you're doing a great job though!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A