Search found 17 matches

by ozchez
Mon May 22, 2017 5:00 pm
Forum: Programming and Planning In Childcare
Topic: New NQS
Replies: 7
Views: 2016

Re: New NQS

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just hope that every centre does still abide with the educator:child ratios when it is not stated in the NQS cos I am sure that there will be centres out there that will think "it's not in the book - it doesn't apply anymore" Sometimes I think it needs to be 'idiot...
by ozchez
Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm
Topic: New NQS
Replies: 7
Views: 2016

New NQS

I have just read through the new changes to the NQS when it takes effect as of Feb 2018. What has me confused is the last section under "Quality Area 4: The elements about educator to child ratios and qualification requirements have been removed as they must be maintained at all times under the Nati...
by ozchez
Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:25 pm
Forum: Supporting Educators At Work
Topic: Strategies For Children That Cry During Drop Off
Replies: 2
Views: 1039

Re: Strategies For Children That Cry During Drop Off

What I usually do is first to insist on the parents saying goodbye. I find the child struggles more if they leave when their child is not watching them. Also distract them with an activity or toy. Ask parents to bring in a comfort item or even a picture of themselves or the family. Something that is...
by ozchez
Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:14 pm
Forum: Children's Behaviour
Topic: Child with Autism who is biting
Views: 1139

Re: Child with Autism who is biting

Thanks Lorina I don't know if I can mention the website that does do some translations on information in different languages but that site doesn't have it on biting but still does on other topics. I am fortunate enough that we have an educator at work that does speak Vietnamese and whenever I do nee...
by ozchez
Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:53 am
Forum: Children's Behaviour
Topic: Child with Autism who is biting
Views: 1139

Child with Autism who is biting

I have a new child at my centre who has diagnosed Autism and Global Development Delay. He has only been coming for 3 weeks (2 days per week). I was told beforehand that he is a biter and has only just bitten one child last week. I have dealt with many children with various development delays and obt...
by ozchez
Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:49 pm
Topic: ECA 2017 Early Years Daily Planner
Replies: 4
Views: 1194

Re: ECA 2017 Early Years Daily Planner

Thanx for the reply Lorina... i am still waiting for the book to arrive and i will definitely be reading thru it...
by ozchez
Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:40 pm
Topic: ECA 2017 Early Years Daily Planner
Replies: 4
Views: 1194

ECA 2017 Early Years Daily Planner

Hi all I have just purchased for myself the 2017 copy of the "Early Years Daily Planner" book from Early Childhood Australia (just awaiting delivery of the book)... I have seen them before but never really utilised it. Has anyone else used this book and how is the best way to use it. My centre that ...
by ozchez
Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:45 pm
Forum: Diploma of Children’s Services - Assignments Support (CLOSED)
Topic: CHCIC501B - Self Assessment & Quality Improvement Planning Process
Replies: 3
Views: 5420

Re: Self-Assessment and Quality Improvement Planning Process

Hi Tiger2 If it is the same questions that I have to answer. For me I am required to answer mine into the Quality Improvement Plan Template. Which is where you write the strengths for all of the elements. (Quality Area 3 has 3 standards 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3 and within these containing 2 - 3 elements) For ...
by ozchez
Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:29 pm
Forum: Experiences In Childcare
Topic: men in childcare - my experience
Replies: 25
Views: 5758

Re: men in childcare - my experience

Hi Glennyman I have been in childcare in many forms (LDC, nanny, before and after school care and relief work) and for many years. I remember several years ago when I was living in SA that I did relief work at one centre, the room I was allocated to had three educators - all of them male. It was the...
by ozchez
Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm
Topic: Child not settling into care
Replies: 6
Views: 1182

Re: Child not settling into care

Thanks for your reply dulciean. It is nice to know that we are not the only ones having difficulty. We did have a break through yesterday where she only cried for short 5-10 minute periods and actually ate some afternoon tea with the other children... things may be getting better. She also attempted...
by ozchez
Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 am
Topic: CHCFC508A - Activity To Develop Creativity In Music
Replies: 1
Views: 1097

Re: CHCFC508A - Activity To Develop Creativity In Music

Sounds ok to me but if you want to extend on the creativity side of it you could always make the instruments as well. I made rain sticks using a postage tube I got from the Post Office and then hammered in nails all the way around. I got the children to put hand prints onto paper which was then wrap...
by ozchez
Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Child not settling into care

Thanks for your replies. In regards to the orientation period we constantly asked the mother (who does speak English and who also works in a different child care centre) to leave the room for short periods but as soon as her child would cry she would divert straight back to her and not leave her aga...
by ozchez
Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 am

Child not settling into care

I work in the 2-3 years toddler room and we have a new child who speaks Cantonese (understands very little or no English and speaks only Cantonese) who is not settling into care whatsoever. She had 2.5 weeks of orientation with her mum and then with her grandmothers but they did not leave the room n...
by ozchez
Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 pm
Topic: Contributing Factors Which Impact On Child Development
Replies: 5
Views: 2339

Re: Contributing Factors Which Impact On Child Development

Thanks for the reply and the information... I have my trainer coming in the next couple of weeks so want to show her what I have got and hoping I am on the right track.
by ozchez
Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:22 pm
Forum: Kids Games & Activities
Topic: Action Songs For Children, Any Ideas?
Replies: 19
Views: 26723

Re: Action Songs For Children, Any Ideas?

With all the action songs that I had I placed them on a box (to resemble a dice) and then allow a child to throw the box and whatever song landed on top was the song that we sung. The children love the idea and find it quite funny when the same song comes up twice or three times in a row. When it se...
by ozchez
Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:37 pm
Forum: Diploma & Advanced Diploma - General Discussions
Topic: Goodstart Training college
Replies: 17
Views: 5573

Re: Goodstart Training college

I am also an employee of goodstart and completed my certificate 3 through what was once called NIECE before they changed it to Goodstart Training College. I am now almost finished my diploma through them but I have so many hiccups along the way including not getting study time. I havent had the enro...
by ozchez
Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm
Topic: Contributing Factors Which Impact On Child Development
Replies: 5
Views: 2339

Contributing Factors Which Impact On Child Development

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Module 3 Part D Contributing factors Your Assignment Type: Standard Question Currently Working in Childcare? Yes Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge Your Question? I am currently working on the assignemnet regarding the contributing factors which impact on ...