Volunteering at your childs' centre

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
diamond84

Volunteering at your childs' centre

Post by diamond84 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 pm

Hi All,

I'd appreciate your input on this one, also forgive me if I've posted this one in the wrong spot.

I am wanting to send my 2 year old to 1 day a week in a LDC primarily because he is bored at home on his own and his litte brother is still a baby so can't play yet. I want him to interact with more children etc. He is a little clingy but I think he would be ok after a little while in the centre. I was wondering for my own benefit as I am studying my diploma would it be a good idea to ask to volunteer at the centre on the day my son attends? I would like the opportunity to get out of the house for a bit and do something proactive regarding my education in childcare so I thought this would be a good option.

Do you think I could approach the centre and ask to volunteer or do the centres these days tend not to want to take on parent volunteers?

Thanks in advance!

Lorina

Re: Volunteering at your childs' centre

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:38 am

Having a parent come in and volunteer is a great benefit and it's should also be encouraged by the centre. I would suggest that maybe start volunteering after your child settles after a few weeks. Only because you mentioned that he is clingy and it will be hard for him to separate from you during drop off and if you come again in the middle of the day for example and then leave without your son (to pick him up later) it may make him more upset. Once he is settled you can come and go as you please within the room...

You could also try playgroups, gymboree etc. to get him use to being around other children before staring LDC.

It's nice to hear you want to get involved...

:geek:,
L.A