Toilet training at childcare

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
bubbaluv

Toilet training at childcare

Post by bubbaluv » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi,
I'm having a problem with my 2 1/2 year ol daughter having accidents at childcare. She has done very well with toilet training and rarely has accidents except at childcare. When she first started at this childcare centre they said they were happy to follow whatever toilet training method we choose but that has since changed. They insisted she start in pullups while there which we didn't want because she knew she could wee in them but we we did as requested. She's been in undies at childcare for a while now but recently started having a few accidents and because of carpet there they want her to go BACK into pullups.

I'm not sure on what to do. Do I put her in the pullups and risk her going backwards even further (she's only there one day a week) or should I look at changing childcare centre's. I've tried to discuss this with her carers and the manager but they just say it's for the hygeine of the other children.

Lorina

Re: Toilet training at childcare

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Bubbaluv,

Yes, I totally agree with you for being concerned about your child going backwards with toilet training while wearing pull ups. I think it’s ridiculous that the carers are requesting you to put your child back into pull ups. That’s not in the best interest of the child it’s probably most likely in the best interest of the staff and also they are supposed to be supporting your child’s development.

I am a child care professional myself and I would never even consider telling a parent to put their child back into PULLUPS because of a few incidents. You mentioned they said it’s because of Hygiene. That’s just an excuse in my opinion, in all childcare centers there are disinfectants we use (even on carpets) when little accidents like this occurs.

I am seriously shocked that this unfortunate situation has happened to you and I want to let you know that this doesn’t happen in all centers…I can’t believe it!

:geek:,
L.A

fifi31

Post by fifi31 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:20 am

I have a room of 16 children a day and the majority of these children are toilet training. We have always encouraged Parents to have their children in Undies when they come to Kindy as I believe Pullups should only be used for sleep time. Children are reminded to use the toilet when they are in my care throughout the day and We have been successful in preventing less accidents. I have also a implemented training chart on the walls in the Bathroom and children are encouraged to put a sticker on their little squares throughout the day. The sticker system is working successfully and my children thrive on praise and encouragment. We make a huge fuss on how wonderful and how proud we are that they have used the toilet. When children are successfully toilet trained they are rewarded with a little certificate and a small sticker book to take home... :D

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 am

I am a childcare teacher and no way would I ask parents to have children in pull ups, once they are in undies that is it.
Every 15 - 20 mins the children are reminded to go to the toilet & for those kids who do seem to have accidents we take them regardless, even if they say they dont need to go
I have found accidents happen because the child is so busy playing or doing something they dont want to leave. I just tell them "We will keep your work safe, it will be right here for when you come back after doing wees" and it works a treat.
Using hygiene as an excuse is BS (excuse my french).... we all have things we can spray onto carpets to disinfect them if accidents happen ... pulls ups is the easy option, saves them from cleaning up but it is doing no favours to your child and I would be letting them know.
The ONLY time i accepted a child in pull ups once they were in undies was if the parent themselves put it on them for whatever reason, even then i did not agree with it (had one parent who's child was having a lot of accidents so she put her back in pull ups!)

Is she generally having accidents or just when she goes to childcare? if it is at childcare u need to establish why it is just happening there...it could be the reason stated above but it may be because she just is not being taken or reminded to go to the toilet

jellybean

Post by jellybean » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:39 pm

The centre is there to work with you. If you do not want your child in pullups they need to respect your choice. I agree that pullups are just nappies! Just because pullups are easy for staff they should be doing what is best for the child, if she wears undies everywhere else then she should wear them at child care. Accidents happen and they should be prepared to deal with them. If staff and management are so unrealistic in their expectations I would look at changing centres.
:!: