Thieves Targetting Daycare Carparks

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sammike

Thieves Targetting Daycare Carparks

Post by sammike » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 am

Hello:

I'm a journalist with The Sydney Morning Herald, and also a parent who had my car broken into (and belongings stolen) last week at a carpark adjoining my children's daycare centre, in Bondi Junction in Sydney.

It turns out that a number of mothers and childcare workers who use the same car park have also had motor vehicle break-ins, so I'm writing a news story about it for the paper.

I'm interested in finding out whether this has happened to other parents or childcare workers, anywhere in Australia, but particularly in NSW, and especially within the last year. (I'm also interested in hearing from parents/child care workers who have had this happen to them before that time.)

If this is you, please contact me as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Samantha Selinger-Morris
Journalist
The Sydney Morning Herald
1 Darling Island Road
Pyrmont, NSW 2009

t) (02) 9282 3907
m) 0400 141 002
sselinger-morris@smh.com.au
Follow me on Twitter @SamanthaSMorris

Lorina

Re: Thieves Targetting Daycare Carparks

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Samantha,

It's very interesting to hear that your car got broken into when picking up your child from childcare. May I ask how long were you gone for? Typically it doesn't take more than 10 minutes (20 minutes maximum) for a parent to pick up their child from care... so if you took 15 minutes from when you left your car in the car pack and then returned and noticed your car was broken into, it kinda sounds like whoever is doing this has been watching for some time...

Are there any surveillance cameras used in the car park that you could possibly check out? It does sound really unsafe maybe this particular childcare centre can contact the local council/police to increase security or something??

I have had my car broken into (however this didn't happen at a childcare centre). Whoever did it stole my wallet and some cash.. Funny thing was a few weeks later police came knocking at my door to return the wallet which had been stolen. Apparently the stealers had no use for it and tossed it on the side of the street. Everything in my wallet was still in place except for cash! That's the only experience which I've had...

I'm really sorry to hear that this had happened to you.. hopefully you get enough information to write up a story to let the community know what is really happening...

Cheers :geek:,
L.A