Painkillers in pregnancy

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
aus22
Participator
Participator

Painkillers in pregnancy

Post by aus22 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 pm

I am 14 weeks pregnant and currently having severe headaches, body aches and pains, feeling weak, loss of appetite and a chesty cough. I took paracetamol, which wasn't effective. I believe my doctor told me it is okay to take codeine in pregnancy and have read a lot on the internet saying it is safe to take. I sent my Dad to the chemist to get me some panadeine, 500mg paracetamol 10mg codeine. He asked the pharmacist if it is safe during pregnancy and the pharmacist said NO WAY!!!!

I was just wondering if anyone else has taken codeine while pregnant or been told by a doctor or pharmacist it is safe?

Any advice is welcome :)

Lorina

Re: Painkillers in pregnancy

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:33 am

First of all “Congratulations”! The nine months will fly by so quickly before you know it you will be holding your little one in your arms. I just had my first baby in May.

I never had codeine during my pregnancy although if I was you I’d only take it when it is absolutely necessary and you cannot cope. From what I have read it may have an effect on the fetus;
Pregnancy Category C (FDA)
Drug pregnancy category
Animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but potential benefits may warrant use of the drug in pregnant women despite potential risks. Wikipedia

I have taken Paracetamol during my pregnancy and it provided me with temporary pain relief and this is safe to use during pregnancy but with all tablets while you’re pregnant they should only be taken when needed especially during this time.

Regarding your body aches and pains try a muscle balm such as “Tiger Balm”, use a heat pack or a gentle massage. This can provide you with some relief. For your headaches, you can rub some Vicks across your forehead or tightly wrap a towel around your head (like a ninja) it actually helps. It doesn't help being sick while you’re pregnant because there is not a lot you can take. You just have to deal with it until it passes...

Make sure you take plenty of fluids and even though you don’t feel like eating make sure you eat something because if you don’t eat then your unborn baby doesn't eat either. I had a very difficult time with food during my pregnancy I had thrown up every day for 8 and half months.

I hope you feel better soon,

:geek:,
L.A

Adamwilley

Re: Painkillers in pregnancy

Post by Adamwilley » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Mostly many people avoid to take pain killers, but at the time of pregnancy sometimes it is essential to take these pain killers otherwise it may cause some other problems. Mostly after the pregnancy women's also gets cellulite.