Choosing A Female Over Male Childcare Worker

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
lilybeth7
Participator
Participator

Choosing A Female Over Male Childcare Worker

Post by lilybeth7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:12 pm

What would you do if the director told you that they picked the girl over the boy for a child care assistants position even though the boy was more qualified?

This is not an assignment question but thanks for any responses.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Discrimination

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:59 am

This sounds like an assignment question I responded to a few weeks ago :giggle: ... Anyways, here is the link of some ideas:

CHCCS301A - Scenario: Jimmy & Amy

:geek:,
L.A

lilybeth7
Participator
Participator

Re: Choosing A Female Over Male Childcare Worker

Post by lilybeth7 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 am

No this actually happened to my best friend who currrently works in a preschool and we spoke about it the other day and she didn't know how to react to what the director said and now she feels really uncomfortable at work and has even considered looking for another job. I was just asking to see if this had happened to anyone else and if anyone had any advice.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 pm

Yeah it's pretty unfair that the director decided to do this. It's pretty unethical, sexist and biased and it should not have happened. Why the director even mentioned it to your friend in the first pace... I guess it's there would be a certain trust issue there. However, I kinda understand where the director is coming from. Having a male employee working may be tough as parents might feel uncomfortable and it could cause problems. Although everyone should be given a chance.

:geek: ,
L.A

nannag1

Post by nannag1 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 am

:clap: How sad that your centre does not have a male educator. I have worked in the past with a male educator and we had so much fun. I agreed to change the nappies (We only had a few) as some parents were a little uncomfortable but were more than happy to have Paul in the room. At the beginning of the second year parents were asking if Paul would be in their child's room as he had built up quite a reputation with parents and children alike. I loved every minute of my 3 years with him and we were sad when he left the centre.