Setting up Art Activities for special events, occasions.

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Angel mist

Setting up Art Activities for special events, occasions.

Post by Angel mist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:35 am

Hi All
I have had no training over the last few years on the EYLF, so am a bit overwhelmed with it all, know the basics and that's it
I have been working with the 3 years age group approx.
I have recently been appointed as a Room Leader, which I am happy about.
I know this group well, I have not stepped up as Room Leader previously for a few reasons.
What I would like to know is, when setting up a Activity for children for a special event, say recently Halloween, my co-worker informs me that we cannot for instance have a shape of a pumpkin, ghost with a variety of art media.
That we have to allow the children to create their own interpretation of that particular object, but provide a variety of art materials to be chosen from.
Hope that my question makes some sense and would appreciate any clarification, suggestions.
As I mentioned that I am new to this, and am overwhelmed with it all. :think:
I work within a busy active 3 years and older room, as most of us do. :giggle:
Many thanks.

Lorina

Re: Setting up Art Activities for special events, occasions.

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Yeah I think I understand what you're trying to explain. Whether or not you can use stencils or pre-cut out pictures for the children to use during art. Well, I don't think there is a problem with it, if you use it along with other materials as well, so it doesn't limit the children.

For example: so for Halloween one of the art experiences may have been to decorate a pumpkin. Along with this experience you could provide, pre cut out pumpkin stencils, pumpkin shapes that the children can cut out for themselves, a whole real pumpkin in the middle of the table that the children can look at, draw and then decorate it for themselves etc. By providing options for the one experience enables children to choose how they want to participate in the art expereince. It's still the same experience you are just using giving the children a variety of options for the same experience.

It doesn't say anywhere in the EYLF that children cannot use stencils or pre cut pictures although it does mention that children should be encouraged to express ideas using wide range of materials etc. You check out learning outcome 5.3 "Children Express Ideas and Make meaning Using a Range of Media".

I'm adding the following articles (available in Wiki ---> Childcare Programming) that may help. Look at Learning Outcome 5 - Children Are Effective Communicators, then sub outcome 5.3

How Children Can Achieve EYLF Learning Outcomes

How Educators Can Promote EYLF Learning Outcomes

Hopefully this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Angel mist

Re: Setting up Art Activities for special events, occasions.

Post by Angel mist » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:53 am

Hi LA,
Thank you very much.
That is fantastic, I have a more clearer understanding of what to do now.
I shall pass this onto my a center as they too will appreciate your information.
Many thanks.